The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Light&Love

m. hostilis

Hey guys

Just wondering what the best technique is to propagate mimosa hostilis by seed? Ive read that one way is to chip the large end of the seed with a sharp blade..

Anyone have any experience planting these seeds?

Peace

Sort of depends how fresh the seed is.

Recently form the pod, and you don't need to do much. Most seed is pretty dry, though, so the same kind of hot water treatment you would give an acacia would be good. You could file or nick the seeds, like you describe, as well. I just like the hot water treatment better.

Hot h2o, not quite boiling, poured over seeds in a metal cup. Metal cup dissipates heat quickly. Let them sit.

Repeat on the ones that don't swell in a couple days. Peroxide in the water while they are soaking isn't a bad idea.

I just put em in a zippy bag on some kitchen paper and wet it. Leave it for a couple of days they swell and I let tyheh roots take on the paper. Then just tear the paper between each seed and plant...

Sort of depends how fresh the seed is.

Recently form the pod, and you don't need to do much. Most seed is pretty dry, though, so the same kind of hot water treatment you would give an acacia would be good. You could file or nick the seeds, like you describe, as well. I just like the hot water treatment better.

Hot h2o, not quite boiling, poured over seeds in a metal cup. Metal cup dissipates heat quickly. Let them sit.

Repeat on the ones that don't swell in a couple days. Peroxide in the water while they are soaking isn't a bad idea.

Thanks P, i think ill try the hot water technique, i used the same technique on my acacias and 90% of them germinated. Just thought this seed would be a little more 'delicate'. How many days should i let it soak in water?

Peace

Soak them for 2 or 3 days tops. I think the peroxide is very helpful with longer soaks. Transplant the ones that swell, and hit up the others with more hot h2o.

Any seed with holes should probably be tossed. Most commercial seed I've seen in the past few has a lot of insect damage holes.

i hot water them always and have great success...as well as many other fabaceae