The Corroboree

might as well hear some thoughts on this movie (i think it's "district 9" meets "fern gulley") but i'm mainly posting to mention two things.

A. in the scene where the main character enters a kind of gathering clumsily, stepping on tails etc, the aliens appear to be staring into the centre of the ring whilst chewing. a brief and subtle drug reference (IMHO) but hard to deny considering the aliens are basically american indians.

B. the aliens to me, seem just like the buggalo-riding martians in futurama (who are also blue and styled after american indians).

there are some great scenes in this painfully long movie.

Just saw it today in 3D. Its my first 3D movie i have ever seen. I loved it. Its so fresh, the plant life was bloody amazing, the creatures were spectacular. The plot was well constructed, with a few heart wrenching moments, some "typical" yank moments that were over ridden by the indian/african feel of the movie. I can honestly say it was a milestone movie for me. I watched it with my folks, dads in his mid 70's and mums in her early 60's. While watching, i often thought to myself, wow, i wonder how dad is reacting to this? From seeing old gold on black and white, to this full blown crazy coloured 3D extravaganza. He absolutely and thoroughly enjoyed it! Dad then proceeded to tell me he saw one of the first 3D "trial" movies back in Germany when he was a kid. Mum was blown away by it too.

Avatar for me, was a huge jump in CGI quality and visual appeal. The feel of the plant life and animals was well thought out, plenty of trippers on that CGI team i tell ya :)

I wasnt particularly looking out for any drug refs, except one group of plants did look like over sized papavers. Im sure ill watch it again and check things out more and more.

I didnt find it painfully long, and i am normally prone to a sore knee and dead arse cheeks from most movies over 2 hours...

Overall, breathtaking.

I just watched in 3d. I thought that the planet Pandora was amazing. Very cool plants and animals. I give this movie a 8/10.

a fantastic planet for sure.

aside from pointing out poor form by the humans (on their home planet and others), this movie touches briefly on interconnectedness and global consciousness, and/or the reality of a kind of planetary spirit/life-force. what definitely has time to sink in though, is the tribal nature of the aliens and why their contempt for human arrogance is quite appropriate. all of these barely dressed, sexy aliens going about their deeply spiritual business also makes this a sensual movie and IMHO you can't help but gain a little understanding about living in connection with your planet and immediate peers.

seemed to me some of the mysterious things about the planet remained quite mysterious and could easily lead to sequels.

consciousness swap scene seemed incredibly familiar..