The Corroboree
teonanacatl

Dreamfish

Quick post detailing somthing I have recently had an experience with. Spearfishing in NSW I caught a silver drummer, generally regarded as a crap eating fish (wasnt too bad but certianly not my fav). Anyway the fish is a herbivour and the specimums (caught/shot 2) were incredibly fatty, generally not a good thing with weed eaters as it affects taste. Fillets were taken and fried and eaten on two occasions with at least 4 people consuming the fish. Now at least 3 out of the 4 people in each occasion reported incredibly bad/annoying realisitic dreams that night, maybe 3 hours after consumption (quite possible 1 person in each meal didnt eat as much or some other variable etc). Further searching found a reference to it being called a dreamfish. Im familiar with Salpa salpa and its reputed hallucinogenic activity but didnt know of any from Oz. Im no longer in NSW so cannot catch the fish, if there is any spearos out there might be worth shooting one and boiling the head to see if the effects get stronger, as are reported with Salpa sp.

peace hope everyone is well

hi, teo nice to hear from you again, long time no c...

hope all is well in your life!

this is very interressting, thx for posting.

i once caught a mugil cephalus (mullet) in a lagoon which i thought produced wellbeing after having been consumed,

i think it's understood that your fish and aswell the mullet, are producing those effect because of there diet.

Kyphosus fuscus is a dream fish native to Australia, found near Norfolk Island. It is closely related to the silver drummer too. Could it have been that you actually caught K. fuscus?

Very interesting report at any rate. Can you detail anymore of the experience?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthyoallyeinotoxism

http://www.erowid.org/animals/fish/fish_info1.shtml

'Even a variety of fish produces hallucinations. Roughly (1960)

described the dream fish present near Norfolk island. The inhabitants

stated consuming this fish would produce nightmares. In order to test

this claim, Joe Roberts, National Geographic photographer, consumed

some of the fish, broiled. The next morning he reported "It was pure

science fiction." He saw a new kind of car, pictures of monuments to

mark man's first trip into space. The fish is Kyphosus fuscus,

closely related to the silver drummer caught off New South Wales.

The author, Roughly, also tried the fish and had weird dreams.'

Perhaps some kind of psychoactive algae in their diet??

Maybe if the seaweed responsible could be identified then it could be investigated. Or else the active constituent is found in the algae/weed in tiny quantities and gradually bioaccumulates in the fishes bodies over time?

Interesting that mullet can also produce these sort of effects, accordingly many species are partially vegetarian.

Never encountered any active mullet myself.

I think luderick and the related zebra fish- also vegetarians- should also be investigated.

Edited by culebra22

theyre actually quite a tasty fish if bled imediately upon capture and yes indeed fatty, i like em cos theyre slow and easy to spear lol....it is interesting to think that this is seaweed related.....i really do hope it is not due to pollution of some sort

Could have been that other fish, it had a black dot at the base of its pectoral fins, thats how we keyed it.

Ok one person described dreams of his gf dying, many many different ways, he was an observer. My dreams were just very real, and I had alot more then normal, almost non stop dreaming. Two other people reported similar to me.

One cant just eat one fish and decided they are not active, many possible variables.

Certianly a possibility that its a metabolite of an algal compound. Lots of possibilities.

Luderick and black drummer were both tried, both had the strong weed/kelp smell but were infinitely better eating, alot less fat being the key i think.

Good to be back briefly ph :) just realising how much my world and self have changed over this last year, need more drugs hahaha.