The Corroboree
Conan Troutman

VIC Camping trip

red pine forest looks very very nice :drool2: , If im on holidays at the time I think il have to come!!

Would it be wrong to plant cacti cuts in the forest and let them grow freely until the second camp?

Edited by tepa

So do people want to bandy some dates about that may best for them?

RonnySimulacrum - be great if u dropped in

Tepa - dont think they would like trichs in a National Park :)

just to encourage dates discussion, 25th-18th of may weekendish. ive no idea if it suits me but its during a waxing gibious cycle so would be ideal for building up positive energies.

LOL dont think the trichs would like the area lol atleast from the photos.

Edited by Amulte

I'd definitely be keen.

We had one a couple of years back at Stephenson's Falls, but the last few years everyone pulled out as the date approached.

I'm not sure of the legality of camping at the Aire Valley Plantation. Pretty sure the redwoods were a 'day-visitor only' area (although I have seen people camped in there several times), and camping was only allowed upstream, near the toilets. The whole area has recently merged into the Otways National Park, so this could quite likely have changed. Just had a quick google and as far as I can see it's picnickers only these days. I'll be in the area tomorrow so will pop in and have a look.

Also of note is the fact that Turton's track is closed (which would be the shortest route if coming from Geelong way) forcing you to drive through Colac.

It's *very* wet there at that time of year, so wet-weather gear is a must. Even if there's no rain, you get soaked searching for fungi if you leave the track.

Definitely worth spending a few days (two nights at least). On our camp at Stephenson's falls it was a case of set up camp, quick look for fungus, dark, quick look again in the morning, then all off home.

Now for some positives.

There are several alternative spots that are equally attractive, and the redwoods make an excellent barbie spot anyway.

The area is an absolute wonderland for fungii of all descriptions, apart from the natural attractions of the rainforest.

FWIW I picked a just emerged sub at the edge of the track near the redwoods last season (migraine preventative) and could barely drive home afterwards.

It's relatively easy to pull a few pan-sized trout from the river there for those so inclined.

I've got a ton of camping gear ie gensets, tents, chairs, tarps, lights, 12v fridge, Gas bottles, barbies etc. so those without much gear would be welcome to a loan.

And I've got five spare seats and room for gear if anyone's interested and can get to Colac train station.

ed

i might have to raise a hand for a lift so will for now but once date sorted ill have much more of an idea, think CT mentioned this to me earlier. id offer help organising but again with this camp as others my distance makes it difficult, unles others are planning on heading down from NSW or QLd?

looks like the NNSW weekend camp might be the week before this Vic camp, hehe if im motivated enough i might make both, but deff keen on this trip, ive got my reasons ;) but also to encourage future trips as my experience with the region has been blissful, im sure others will love it too, id love to see this grow to a regular event much like the NNSW camp.

Hey ed, :)

Thanks for the contribution man,

I didnt mean to suggest you can camp under the redwoods as it is signed with 'no camping' ect..but there is an area right nexzt to them people often camp although my crew mostly use the other camp area under ti-trees or out in the large open picnic area, which is 10m from the plantation...

as for a date Im thinking July might be best for definite fungal activity? What do peeps say??

july sounds good. june - july 1st weekend os the last weekend looks good, for spiritual puroses anyway LOL firgive my typoes, rather inegriated and dazed atm LOL ahhh beer and roulette, when it works out its more confusing than when it doesnt LOL

but yes, this camp wil be awesome reguardless of date or spiritualistic ideal as most of the peeps from Vic ive met hve been the most uniwque people ive ever known. losta wise people down there ;) oh yeah, EGA date has been set :)!!!! woot!!

im blurting now so heres the last one, i love you even if you dont love me ;) LOL youknow who you are ;) ORFLMAO

Ok Folks, How would the dates FRIDAY 1st UNTIL SUNDAY/MONDAY 4th OF JUNE suit people?

comments needed...Thanks crew :)

I'm not too fussed with dates, so whatever is agreed upon is cool by me.

CT, I actually thought that there was no camping allowed near the redwoods. But what I was getting at is that this area wasn't National Park until recently, so new rules may apply.

According to Parks Victoria (downloadable map .pdf) the only camping areas in the new Otways National Park in the area that are accessable at that time of year are the Aire Crossing, Stevenson's Falls, Beauchamp Falls, Dando's, and Lake Elizabeth. I take this to mean dedicated camping sites, but that's just my interpretation.

I shot out to the Aire Valley Plantation this 'arvo, and the picnic tables were gone, as were all signs (bar a large, relatively new National Park sign) . Fireplaces were still there, new fencing near the redwoods, and the fencing and table in the upstream area had been removed. One vehicle access point to the toilets was fenced off as well.

My personal take on it is that we'd be cool camping there. There was plenty of sign of recent campers, and no signs saying day-visitors only. Also, I've had a good look around the Parks website and can't find anything to say that bush-camping is prohibited in the park.

I often head out there on a hot week-night (with my dogs which is a definite no-no) and have never had a problem.

Not trying to be a scare-monger, but I'd feel bad if I was wrong and didn't inform anyone. As I said, I don't have a problem camping there myself.

Shit they're doing a lot of logging though.

As much as I dislike pines, they look a lot better than denuded hills.

CT, are you local?

If so I wouldn't mind a hand cutting a load of wood a week or two early and stashing it somewhere nearby.

Amulte, no problem re a lift if you need one. Onz is getting on the train at Geelong, so you'd have company for the last leg of the journey.

ed

I think its just a renaming from state parks because they are now conrolled by the federal government not longer by the state?

So Im not exactly sure what the situation is as there forever taking down signs to stop attracting tourist and what not.

As far as I know it all seems fine and dandy for camping but will of course inform if anything changes?

I beleive the 1st of June is a full moon aswell...

Cheers

working with the 1st and with a certificate from Dr Nic i could maybe get down there friday night until about lunchtime sunday (shift work is great but the weekends kill me, rostered on sat night :( ).

the surrounding weekends pose the same problem (until the last weekend of june) so go for it and i will use every form of fraud to get myself there.

i will have spare seats in the car leaving from geelong if this suits anyone? i guess we better wait for the final date to surface before seriously locking in transport.

encouraging all noobies ( so im no the only one there thats got no idea what im talking about! :lol: )

end

this will be my first SAB related excursion so i must ask: what is the norm with non SAB members attending? if there isnt one what are peoples thoughts?

i can see pro's to both sides of the argument, what you think?

this will be my first SAB related excursion so i must ask: what is the norm with non SAB members attending? if there isnt one what are peoples thoughts?

i can see pro's to both sides of the argument, what you think?

spouse/partner and kids welcome. those without the latter are welcome to bring an ethno friendly friend, but just the one. so long as they are ethnogen friendly ;) should all be well. thats been the norm and worked out well so far, ill leave it to you locals to diside this one ;)

Be thanks to ED ;)

Edited by Amulte

spouse/partner and kids welcome. those without the latter are welcome to bring an ethno friendly friend, but just the one. so long as they are ethnogen friendly ;) should all be well. thats been the norm and worked out well so far, ill leave it to you locals to diside this one ;)

Be thanks to ED ;)

That sounds perfect amulte...just remember to keep common interests :shroomer:

also apart from what ed said, neither he or I can see any major problems with camping at the proposed site, if anything changes will of course be informed, here's hoping not though,

Edited by Conan Troutman

Pheww! I haven't been around lately 'cos I've been busy with uni, but I'm glad I checked in. I would LOVE to come along to this. Not sure what date would be best, I'll get back to you on that very soon.

Pheww! I haven't been around lately 'cos I've been busy with uni, but I'm glad I checked in. I would LOVE to come along to this. Not sure what date would be best, I'll get back to you on that very soon.

would be good to see ya there ballzac...

some more feedback on dates would be nice as the time approaches, Thanks peeps

I beleive the 1st of June is a full moon aswell...

full moon? oh yeah!

I'll try and bring enough tea for all

full moon? oh yeah!

I'll try and bring enough tea for all

mmmmm...tea

not sure what sort your referring too, but yeh, please do!

not sure what sort your referring too, but yeh, please do!

lol, irish breakfast and jaigulan. However, if this years fungi season is as poor as last years, I may try to bring some suger cubes to compliment the tea. lol wooooooo :P:lol:

lol, irish breakfast and jaigulan. However, if this years fungi season is as poor as last years, I may try to bring some suger cubes to compliment the tea. lol wooooooo :P:lol:

Im sure they will be something there to satisfy most everyones tastes... :lol:

So is it looking like June 2-3? think i am working, but may be able to get out of it

Looks like first week of June would be fine for me. Uni finishes last week of May and I'm guessing I'd have at least a couple of weeks off before exams.

Jebers Ed - is that where you guys are going?? Man, that looks awesome!!