The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Salvi

pachanoi forming monstrose growth?

This is the large T. pachanoi I posted pics of previously...I have now planted it and it has begun growth. One of the branches is looking a bit mutated. Is this a monstrose growth?

normal_100_0183.JPG

normal_100_0187.JPG

And here's a normal looking branch:

normal_100_0182.JPG

Hey Salvi, I'm going to lean towards saying no on it being monstrose. It looks more like it is trying to figure out how many ribs it should have. Tubercle formation seems rather normal, if misplaced, but with monstrose you will have raised sections that lack areoles.

That last photo there of T. pachanoi is great. Look at those incredible transverse furrows (V-notches) on it. Really neat.

~Michael~

Thanks Michael, for the fast reply. I was kind of thinking that it might just be "confused" :confused: ...I guess

I will see for sure in the coming weeks.

Yeah, that last T. pachanoi is one of my faves. That plant seems to be a different strain from most of my other cuttings. :cool:

Salvi

[ 25. December 2004, 17:05: Message edited by: Salvi ]

My bridgesoid, Eileen, has one pup the same as that in the first two pics.

At about this time last year two flower buds formed on the central limb approx 18" from the top. Within a few weeks they'd lost their hair and turned into pups. One is near identical to the pics above in shape and about 6" long, while the other is typical of the plant, 12" long, and much fatter.

What lighting/temp regime are you giving them salvi?

Does anyone have theories re the flower to pup change?

One day I'll get a camera :rolleyes:

ed

That particular pup is probably at about 85 degrees, under a 400 watt metal halide lamp. I do believe it grew from a flower bud. There was a tuft which turned into that pup. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with its shape or not, however, it has straightened itself out and has settled on 5 ribs. It looks like it's just going to grow normally from now on.