The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bogsnorkler

Shipping cuttings

I want to ship some cuttings to another member about 1000km away. I haven't had to do this sort of thing before, and am wondering what the best option is to ensure they are viable when they arrive.

Offhand, my first thought was to just grab a bunch of long ones, wrap the cut ends in damp cotton wool, then just stuff them all into one of those cardboard post tubes. Anyone got a better idea?

ETA: Oh and the cuttings will be semi-hardwood Hibiscus schizopetalus, so they'll be fairly tolerant things.

Edited by Bogsnorkler

Defoliate the cuttings except for the top 2-3 leaves, and since Hibiscus leaves are generally decent sized maybe even consider cutting the leaves in half as the more foliage then the more hydration that will be lost through transpiration.

Buy yourself a bag of sphagnum moss from the nursery... take out a bunch, moisten thoroughly with a spray bottle and put it all around the roots. Give the roots a proper mist for good measure, then wrap the bunch of sphagnum moss and roots up in a couple layers of damp newspaper or something.

Also put a few bits of sphagnum moss around the rest of the cutting n leaves inside the package just to keep it all a bit more moist.

Lastly get it in the post by 5pm lol.

They will def be fine in the post if you do that. Sphagnum moss is the best way because it's perfect for keeping moisture for long periods of time without it becoming a food source for bacteria and mold like other things, and I guarantee it'll stay moist a lot longer than cotton wool.

I've sent dozens of packages all across Australia this way, as well as received a fair few, and they are always good to go after 4 days of being in the post.