The Corroboree
ballzac

Orchestral on the comp?

Hey, I'm interested in writing some orchestral music on the computer. The only thing that's held me back is that I haven't been able to find a program that has even remotely convincing orchestral sounds. I have done a couple of pieces using piano samples, but samples just don't work for most instruments, violin for example. I know some hardware can do it, but what about software? Anyone know of a good program? Preferably VSTi, but standalone would be fine. Thanks.

-Zac

your best bet would be getting into "soundfonts"

either purchase or download illegally a VST called halion

donwload soundfonts (you can get free ones or pay for better quality ones etc)

play around until you get good sounds.

as for where to find soundfonts i used to be into them but site i used was down.

im a sample fiend nowdays.

sorry i cant be of more help - try google.

also this info may be old. i was interested in soundfonts around 2001 or so and times may have changed.

oh one more thing. you can get orchestra soundfonts where you play a note and the orchestra plays that note. can sound sheesy though. go for individual instruments and build up your orchestra. tricky though.

Thanks for the info. I never thought about soundfonts, but I'm checking them out now. My soundcard (audigy2 plat.) came with a heap of soundfonts, but they all sounded really cheesy. I got halion and I'm just trying to figure out how to use it now. Thanks heaps.

umm try Sibelius... though the actual sound's depend on your soundcard's midi.

yeah, soundfonts are your best bet i guess.

...or hire an orchestra :P

I've never really used midi (except using the information to control a VSTi e.g. from a keyboard), but I would expect audigy2 to have pretty good midi sound. Anyway, I'm checking out Sibelius now...cheers :)

sibelius is cool :) and it's good to be writing on an authentic looking score that I can just print out.

good to know youve worked it out :)

it takes some people a LOOOONG time :P

Download some more Vienna soundfonts dude, their native to Audigy anyway...whack'em with the rest of the soundfonts and select your output device to (SB Audigy Sw Synth [D800]) your strings should sound sweet! :)

Thanks. I haven't been able to find any soundfonts that sound good, but I did find a VSTi that sounds wicked...Edirol Orchestral. I just can't figure out how to use it :( I figure it must use midi outs to control the different instruments (I've never used one of these multi VSTis before). But when I click on the induvidual sounds, they sound incredibly realistic.

Oh yeah, I've never understood the different outputs on Audigy. Why do you say to set it to (SB Audigy Sw Synth [D800])? They all sound the same to me.

Anyway thanks again. :)

ooh, I'm starting to figure it out!

Edited by ballzac

okay edirol orchestral rocks. Listen to the difference. I'm not saying soundfonts are necessarily worse as I just might not have found decent ones, but I think I'll stick with edirol. I actually noticed a lot of orchestrative errors (with regards to harmonies) that I missed before because of the sound quality. I need to back off on the reverb a little and work on the dynamics a bit for clarity, but this sounds pretty realistic.

untitled3_3.mp3

untitled3_3.mp3

untitled3_3.mp3

okay edirol orchestral rocks. Listen to the difference. I'm not saying soundfonts are necessarily worse as I just might not have found decent ones, but I think I'll stick with edirol. I actually noticed a lot of orchestrative errors (with regards to harmonies) that I missed before because of the sound quality. I need to back off on the reverb a little and work on the dynamics a bit for clarity, but this sounds pretty realistic.

wow man, those edirol sounds are awesome :D

might go find them myself :wink: