The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ajna

Brug ID?

can anyone help with a possible species name for this brugmansia? has been flowering in abundance, some have this double calyx going on and others are just single.

cheers guys,

ajna

100_5085.jpg

Candida double white i think

that and the peach brug - often two tiones starting white and turning peach

are the most common ones youll find australia wide

maybe a few brug sanguinea, the odd suaveolens and some aureas very occassionally or locally abundant

but look what they can be...

http://www.americanbrugmansia-daturasociety.org/

Drooooool

by all means hook up and try to get seed but remember only labelled clean B candida seed is permitted import

thanks rev. i thought i might try and cross this plant with the b. versicolor i have in a pot also, haven't got seeds off either of them before.

Nice photo there :)

Here's an old but great paper on Datura taxonomy. Included is a good key to Brugmansia for diagnosing between B. candida, B. sauveolens and B. sanguinea. Of course, you won't get to variety though.

Taxonomic Account of Datura L. (Solanaceae) in Australia with a Note on Brugmansia Pers.

L. Haegi

Department of Agronomy, Waite Agricultural Research Institute,

Private Bag No. 1, Glen Osmond, S.A. 5064.

Abstract

A taxonomic account of the genus Datuva in Australia is presented. Wild populations of D. stramonium,

D. ferox, D, leichhardtii, D, inoxia and D. wrightii occur and D. metel is cultivated and

occasionally persistent. A comprehensive revision of the genus has not been attempted, but full

descriptions based on a study of herbarium specimens, plants in the field and cultivated material are

provided for each of the six species, of which five are naturalized aliens. D. leichhavdtii has generally

been considered an Australian endemic but the closely related species D. pruinosa (which may be

conspecific) occurs in central America. This raises the biogeographical problems of trans-Pacific

distribution. Although the application of names is in accordance with current usage, some nomenclatural

problems are outlined. A key for the identification of species is presented. The genus

Brugmansia, often treated as a section of Datura, is represented in Australia only by species in

cultivation.

daturatax.pdf

daturatax.pdf

daturatax.pdf

thanks morg, according to that paper i'd be guessing it's b. candida, like rev said.

edit: just been clearing a lot of the weeds off this land over the weekend, found another 4 or 5 of these brugs growing throughout!

Edited by ajna