The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
wandjina

help...can I stop the rot?

One my favourite cacti has started to rot. It's a lovely Mammillaria zeilmanniana, usually gorgeously turgid and flowers frequently. However, foolishly, I put it in a glazed pot, and left it out during the recent rains in Sydney. I recently noticed that it was rotting...tubercles were dissapearing leaving just the spines and bristles behind.

Obviously the rot was beneath and underneath. I took the cactus out of the pot, and excised the rotted tissue around the base and up one side, i had to cut off approx 25% of the plant (btw, having never sliced into a mamm before, I had no idea how colourful their inside was! Just like a section of watermelon, so pink, almost flesh like...beautiful). Anyways, I got rid of the rot, leaving the rest intact and still in in the soil, roots have held in place...but what should i do now?

should I leave it to callous and plant out again? put it in another pot now...new soil? Cut back roots...or leave as a ball with soil?

Any advice appreciated, thanks

First i would wash the soil off of the rootball exposing the roots. Feel the roots and trim off any that are rotting. Cut all of the rot out of the roots and flesh of the cactus while excersising overkill (cut out more than seems neccesary around rot, just to be safe :wink: ). After the rot has been cut out spread sulfur (available at hardware store as "dusting sulfur") over the cut wounds and roots. Then just let it sit until calloussed and prey :innocent_n: . Good luck to you!

Edit: Ariocarpus also have a red coloration inside, it's odd but beautiful!