The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
empire

wourali vine/upas tree wanted

I'm curently after a plant called the wourali vine or a upas tree. does any one know were I can buy one?

[ 23. March 2005, 11:17: Message edited by: empire ]

Strychnos species are difficult to obtain and are prohibited imports. Can't remeber if that was customs or quarantine, but I gave up with them a few years ago.

im also interested in a upas tree :D

(antiaris toxicaria)

[ 22. March 2005, 14:45: Message edited by: empire ]

Interesting common denominator in these plants...

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on Strychnos Toxifera, infact any on the curare plants would be nice to own:

Chondodendron tomentosum (especially this one)

Cocculus toxiferus

Sciadotenia toxifera

Strychnos Castelnaei

Strychnos Crevauxii

Strychnos Gubleri

Strychnos guianensis

Based on the common denominator (traditional hunting poisons) you may also find an interest in:

Strophanthus hispidus

Strophanthus Kombé

both of which are of African origin, and have similar uses to the plants you have mentioned.

If you manage to find *ANY* of these plants please let me know, I am also seeking them.

many hunting poisons have unique action on tissue that often has important implications for medical applications. General anaesthesia would not be as effective if it wasn't for curare.

Small amounts of strychnine are also said to be highly aphrodisiacal - I'd want my seeds to be analysed before dosing though

Strophanthus should be easy enough to source...

Sorry, I didn't know it was a secret. I would love to get my hands on some of these plants (or at least my gloves on some of them).

I bet you could feel power just eminating from thse plants, a bit like how brugmasia seems to scream "beware... I will consume you if you don't respect me" when you look at in bloom.

Torsten:

Small amounts of strychnine are also said to be highly aphrodisiacal - I'd want my seeds to be analysed before dosing though      

Thats the "What ever doesn't kill you, only makes you longer" reasoning :)

Torsten:

Strophanthus should be easy enough to source...

Interesting...

I haven't looked for these as I don't know too much about them. I only recently found out about their usage as a poison, as it was metioned in an article about curare.