The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

Alstonia constricta

I just received Ed Dunkel's alkaloid bearing plants book (thanks ed :wink: ) and it list Alstonia constricta as containing both reserpine and alpha-yohimbine. I knew about the reserpine but not the alpha-yohimbine, although it does not state in which plant part they isolated it from. Searching for this compound i came up with the following:

5) Yohimbe alkaloid is a MAOI

An alkaloid found in both yohimbe and East Indian Snakeroot (Rauwolfia serpentina) named rauwolscine or alpha-yohimbine (an isomer of yohimbine) was found to inhibit the enzyme monoamine oxidase. The mild MAOI type effects of yohimbe bark have been anecdotally reported for years but now a specific alkaloid has shown measurable activity in the rat liver. It was found that the MAOI activity of alpha-yohimbine works by its association with a specific type of receptor called an imidazoline I-2 site. This appears to be distinct from the more typically recognized type of MAO inhibition such as that caused by harmaline or pargyline.

Just made me think of Folias talking about unknown native MAOIs...

I just received Ed Dunkel's alkaloid bearing plants book (thanks ed :wink: )

Good to see you are enjoying the book :)

Good to see you are enjoying the book :)

I love to sit down and read a good reference book ^_^.

almost there.

with that book Ed, how accurate do you think it still is? It seems to be pretty good, a lot of good work was done from the 50's - 70's in reagrds to alkaloids

:saufen2:

btw we've got heaps of A. constricta growing on our property and the local area if there is some interest in the bark. I tried it recently and it is unbelievably bitter, leaves a lingering bitterness. Was good for fevers and influenza evidently.

name='black' date='Jan 18 2006, 12:33 PM' post='80978']can i please get a copy ed

Nope, none left (only my own copy), sorry :innocent_n:

Maybe Torsten can set up a library through his research station ;) Books could be shared.

with that book Ed, how accurate do you think it still is?

I would think it is generally quite ok but I have noticed some inconsistencies in regards to recent work. But then that is to be expected from older research. It's always best to check several sources.

But I like the way it lists the plants out and the nummerous entries.

Edited by Ed Dunkel

Experimenting with this stuff may be a bit dodgy, reserpine has permanent effects on brain receptors.