The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
medicinedan

monokaryons and grain to grain

I was attempting a 'grain to grain' the other day, well actually it was a 'brown rice flour cake' to grain, from a partly colonized BRF cake' to a grain jar.

I also did a few test tube 'slants' with small pieces of colonised BRF cake.

I was wondering, Is it possible that I have innoculated the grain and slants with monokaryon mycellia?

The cakes were far from colonised and no mycelium patches had joined. There were several patches about as big as a five cent piece.

I need more knowledge in this part, though monokaryotic myc should die off soonish (??) if isolated as it can't find a mate and has no way of drawing nutrient (or at least an severely disadvantaged ??)

You innoculated with a spore syringe?

If you can see a section about 5c piece, i *think* at least some somatogamy has occured with compatible monokaryotic myc as somatogamy occurs at a microscopic level.

Again, i'm not sure, but if the tranfers start to eat through the grain you've got some dikaryotic mycelium present.

If you make transfers and they continually put on vegetative growth, that's dikaryotic, also if you induce them to fruit only dikaryotic myc will do that.

Hope that's along the right lines.

How come you transferred so early? Just eager to try it?

LOl i dont think people realise how hard it is to isolate a monokaryon

lots of carfeul serial dilutions and even then you need to spend time to weed out the dikaryons

all it needs is too spores to for the dikaryon and only one of thse actually has to germinate or be alive!

the monokaryon can appropriate nuclei from dead spores

congrats you have with 100% surity a multispore multiisolate innoculation

"all it needs is too spores to for the dikaryon and only one of thse actually has to germinate or be alive!

the monokaryon can appropriate nuclei from dead spores"

This is interesting. I was under the impression that dikaryotic hyphae result from the germination of two spores. The germinating spores form a monokaryotic stage which is short lived followed by plasmogamy (cytoplasmic fusion) of the two monokaryotic haploid parent mating types producing a long lived dikaryotic mycelia (which is the dominant stage in basidiomycetes).

:D Excellent,

Thanks for that info it is most helpful

The reason I did a transfer so early was ; I dont have many spores to play with and a whole batch of cakes contaminated. I thought I could get in there and take a clean piece of mycellium and grow it out on agar, just in case I wasted all of my spores.

2 out of 3 slants got the contam, but I got a clean one.

I had some success with some cakes a bit later (they were colonising without contams). Around the same time I was starting to play with grain. I got impatient and grabbed a piece of verm/brf and chucked it in the grain. Its going crazy, the mycellium started to fuzz in about 24 hours.

So basically I can rest assured that my slant and grain, if they are colonising readily, then it is dikaryotic.

Prophet you are completely correct in your assumption insofar as the norm goes

what i mentioned is non-normative reproductive abilities, like changing sexes in some animals

i wouldnt suppose all species could do it but some can