The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

an Ecuadorian adventure

I've followed MSS's lead and been doing some searching and found this great little travelogue from Ecuador. It's got some very interesting photos and details the dilemma's of finding a good shaman and drug tourism.

http://www.zuvuya.net/sites/babylontravel/...rame_spedro.htm

I think they did the wisest thing of all in the end. Has anyone got the Lonely Planet guide to Ecuador to give the location?

I am in no doubt that Vilcabamba is the area this occurred in, a quick google showed a heap of sites linking san pedro with the area, probably mainly due to the mention in the Lonely Planet guide.

Vilcabamba isn't too far away from Cuenca where the T. pachanoi in Britton & Rose was taken and judging by some of the photos turning up it really does look like the Backeberg clone is just an attractive sample of the species.

A bizzare aside...

There is a great movie called El Crimen de Cuenca, by Pilar Miro that deals with turture in South America. Cuenca, that's the only reason I bring it up.

Lonely Planet, hmmmm. When I used to manage an independent travel book store (talk about a micro-niche) it seemed that there was an impulse to find the edgy angle (ie. drugs) and exploit it to seem as if they were a cutting edge publisher.

What is refreshing is to hear that the people trying to play up the san pedro thing to garner tourism are coming off as worthless hucksters.

Stream of consciousness...

cuenca, yep i've been there, time to go there once again, who else wants to?

You serious? Cool! The best of luck to you.

I picked up a secondhand copy of the Peru guide, it mentions Huancabamba as a good place for shamen.

But maybe now that should read 'was'. :wink:

Actually I really like the Lonely Planet guides they're so comprehensive and informative but I agree they'll throw in the sensational as well.

I have a connection with a shaman in Cuzco whom is apparently extremely wary of every so called "shaman" down there.Despite being a very powerful, and very traditional shaman he does not dress in any type of traditional clothing, or speak of his profession to anyone. For him it must be understandibly embarrassing to be lumped in with all the other hoaksters in that part of the world who make a show of themselves and abuse anything they have by displaying it.

I think the lonely plant guide could be partly blamed for the over backpackerization of Nimbin/Byron as well.

It might be nice to stop in a market that carries San Pedro.

cuenca, yep i've been there, time to go there once again, who else wants to?

I have not settled on a destination to to go to yet!

The high Andes mountains are sooooo danm nice!