The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hagakure

Tor

This keeps happening! I've posted about Tor many times but it seems like I keep missing a few peoples attention ;)

That's cool but, as long as interest is generated I don't mind.

The reason Tor is slower than your normal internet is (aside from encryption) of course the fact that they don't have a whole lot of relay nodes, about 150 permanent ones or so I believe.

So get out there! If you have enough bandwidth and a computer that is always on, maybe you should consider becoming a Tor node for the goodness of mankind!

If your ISP is being monitored then its too late anyway, your screwed because eyes are already looking in your direction and money has already been spent on your ass so they want some results to justify it.

Howver if you can keep things like suspects adresses and IPs off your ISP's logs then that can only be a good thing and stops random ISP log searches.

apoth - im pretty sure i found out about this from a post of yours ages ago

i dropped it for a while cause it looked a little complex. finally got round to setting it up and was suprised how easy it was - especially with mozilla. so decided to share the love.

my mozilla has turned into an absolute beast. so many extensions now. really gone tim the tool man crazy with it. im getting the weather, blocking java, stumbling, encrypting, chatting, tabbing all with a plush interface.

InvisibleNet/I2P/InvisibleIRC used to be just as good/if not better than Tor...but like most projects that are developed on by only psychotic paranoid nerds, they drifted off after a while.

Being hosted by the EFF keeps the importance of the project in the nerds minds. So hopefully Tor will stick around, 'cos the longer it does the better it will be.

I have a similar program, Steganos Internet Anonym Pro 6, it routes you through anonymizing proxy servers all round the word....masking your IP address and making it appear you come from other countries. You can also make it change every nth second/minute. At first it goes kinda slow, but it sorts out the slow proxies and removes them, so the more you use it the faster it gets.

My only query with programs like this, no matter how much you protect yourself on this end, everything you do goes through your ISP, so wouldn't they know exactly what you are doing anyway? I think its kinda a false security.

Well that's why Steganos IAP sucks and Tor rules.

Steganos just routes stuff to various proxies so the recipient end has no idea where it came from. Tor encrypts it and then sends it off under another layer of encryption to the recipient end using anonymous routing which is hardly susceptible to MIM attacks.

What does that mean? It means nobody along the route can read what you are upto, including your ISP or the feds.

Use Tor, donate money if you can, because it's damn good.

Tor is great, i use it all the time. It haasn't slowed down my computer though at all its great. The best thing is is sooo dam simple to use.

im currently on 56k and it has been giving me shit in terms of speed

also cant find servers etc sometimes - errors for google or any other infalible website.

i will sort it out at somepoint i guess

not urgent as i am too busy studying and procrastinating with more fun stuff to bring down any foreign governments right now.

just curious if anyone has had similar problems already on this forum and how they sorted it out.

Steganos Internet Anonym Pro 6

The 2006 is easyier to use.

Ghostsurfer is defective.

Although a good idea.