The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bolwarra

Ganoderma? ID please

i've had my eye on this conk for a while

i'm sure its a Ganoderma spp? - australe maybe?

rev: you were selling cultures of Reishi once right? whats your thoughts?

i took a spore 'print' of sorts, and might one day attempt an isolate of it (if its a Ganoderma)

it's actually growing of a dead A. maidenii

post-408-1130203462_thumb.jpg

post-408-1130203554_thumb.jpg

post-408-1130203705_thumb.jpg

conk measures 27cm

it seems taxonomy is a mess with the whole genus.

i'll be having a look at the spores under magnification tonight, maybe this will help.

if anyone is interested in a wild print let me know.

cheers.

I think I have seen this sp. in Vic. as well as Qld.

Can you “draw” on the underside of by pressing into the white tissue that instantly terns brown / black?

I think I have seen this sp. in Vic. as well as Qld.

Can you “draw” on the underside of by pressing into the white tissue that instantly terns brown / black?

yep, changes colour almost instantly

Saw one of those (smaller though) when I went bush bashing with smogs a few weeks ago. I'll ask him to put up photo :)

HiAll.

I have had extensive discussions with a kind lady from a Botanic Gardens Mycology Curator this season regarding the ganoderma family. She has over 20+ years collecting fungus in Australia and still could not accurately provide a positive ID on a a specific ganoderma. What you have there may be versicolour and it may not be. Colour Depends greatly on wood composition and environmental conditions. You will find that absolute accurate ID of this family can really only be done with DNA sequencing...

She was also under the impression that this family has had not where near enough study in the southern hemisphere. Most being Chinese or Japanese.

Known strains of this wonderfull fungi (G.Versicolor) are available all over the net, so dont let any mis-ID stop you in chasing this wonder of nature.

Ps: If you can locate a copy of Greater and Lesser Fungi of your area, they have quite extensive gamoderma info in there.. albiet old.

:D

BD.

apoth: I have seen what i think to be the same species 4 different times in my area. it is a beaut

She was also under the impression that this family has had not where near enough study in the southern hemisphere. Most being Chinese or Japanese.
seems to be the case from what i've been reading too (Stamets)
Known strains of this wonderfull fungi (G.Versicolor) are available all over the net, so dont let any mis-ID stop you in chasing this wonder of nature.

i've been interested in getting a strain of G. lucidum for some time, one day maybe :)

BlackDragon: do you mind letting me know which Botanic Gardens it was where you had had this conversation?

cheers.

Im not sure if I should give the establishment's name out in a public form, as I dont want to cause my friend any undue harrasment. Please email me and ill pass her email on. Lets just say its in the southern part of the country. The kind lady was quite standoffish at the start..(Partly cause Im a huge hairy ogre, but mostly cause she's sick of getting asked for mmmmagic mushroom id's) but she soon warmed to me and revealed a few locations.

:D