The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
AndyAmine.

Which direction to plant seeds, up or down?

Which direction do you all plant your seeds, with the taproot facing up or down?

I have read covincing arguments about both up and down and after searching on it for a while, I think it should go up.

I'd love to hear some opinions of those with experiance in this areas.

allways with the taproot facing down, it's called polarisation.

in case of hemp seeds place them with the anulus (the lil ring thingy) facing up.

catha edulis place wing facing up.

lagochillus seems aswell to like the part which is a bit flat facing upwards.

the correct polarisation can be checked by putting seeds beetween layers of wet newspaper or rockwool.

place them in different ways and than check after a while which seed's have the taproot going straight down.

if a seed is placed the wrong way mostly they will still germ, but if the seed's are old and the embryo lacks of stamina, all the efforts of bending the taproot all around can exhaust the seedling.

correctly placed seed allways come up earlier than ther upsid down placed seeds! :rolleyes:

Ive always found plantin at the correct depth is much more critical.

no so deep they cant get out but they need the anchorage to be a sturdy seedling

for surface seeds like cactri a mulch helps, something light transmissive like perlite or quartz

In Bonsai, to encourage a nice, straight trunk you plant the seed with the taproot facing downwards.

If you want the tree to be an 'informal upright', or with slight bends and curves in the trunk, you plant it with the root facing upwards. Then the first growth is all twisted around, etc.

With my Morning Glory, I always plant with the root facing downwards, it makes them grow much faster in my experience.

With most seeds It doesn't really matter what direction you plant the seed...the seed will figure that out it self.

I guess it has to do with gravity/light...

If the seed already have a taproot, you obviously plant the seedling with the little taproot facing downwards, but be gentle, very careful so you dont harm the fragile little one..

Although, helping the little fella out has never harmed anyone... :P