The Corroboree
ballzac

Handling poisonous species

Hey all.

I was wondering what precautions need to be taken when handling deadly species. I would like to bring home and document every find I make, including species that I know or suspect to be dangerous. With species such as amanita phalloides is it dangerous to even just touch it? And what could I do to prevent the spread of the spores of such species when I pick, transport and handle them? Thanks.

IMHO There are not that many common organic naturally occurring toxins that can go through your skin.

That’s why you have skin; more problematic is residue on your hands being transferred to your eyes or mouth, so wash your hands after handling anything that your not sure about, or just use gloves if you’re skin is compromised by a cut or rash.

I have personally handled many toxic plants, fungi and animals with no ill effects.

Hi Ballzac,

I don't know anything about the handling of poisonous mushrooms but as for the transporting of the mushrooms - it would be easier for you and better for environment if you were to just take photographs of the mushroom and surrounds and leave the mushroom in its location. That is if you can do all the research you want on location...? If you remove the mushroom you might be having an impact on the future generations of that species in the area - also the point you made about spreading the spores could have some impact too..

Just a thought...

Sorry to be so boring about it! :)

Cheers Jim

I think whats been said is what id say too

you should be ok

maybe take some latex gloves

Personally if u found a patch of phalloides id spread copper sulphate on it in an attmept o get rid of it right then and there.

Drastic but its certainly and unwanted species recently introduced

It prob hasnt yet but it is very lilely it will jump to native forests in time and we have no idea what affect that would have if wildlife eat it especillay the mycophagous marsupials which are already endangered and do eat native amanitas

in the meantime its host is oaks of which there are many but not so many that eradication couldnt be attempted