The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
JumpedAngel

Duboisia hopwoodii (pituri) drupe

rare - limited SWAP offer!!

!!FOR ADVANCED CULTIVATORS ONLY!!

10 fresh drupes containing the most viable Duboisia hopwoodii (pituri) seed you are likely to see, harvested Nov 12, 2004.

caveat emptor ->

***please note Duboisia hopwoodii (pituri) is not as yet known in cultivation, germinates with difficulty, and has not survived long on those rare occasions when it has germinated, it is strongly suspected of being a parasitic plant (by me) and it is unlikely that the seed or plant will survive long so please take this warning to heart and only apply if you are confident that you can achieve some kind of success with them or at least try to learn something from them.***

the kind of things i wouldn't mind being offered in return:-

(unless otherwise stated would prefer small rooted cutting)

Banisteriopsis spp.

Ephedra spp.

Vanilla-pod orchid

Hoodia gordonii (seed)

Mitragyana speciosa (if still legal?? well i can dream cant i??)

Psychotria viridis

Persoonia (W.A. spiral leaf form)

or some quality lotus herb

pm me ---> cheers :D

This seed is not actually from a pituri area is it?

I am nevertheless interested in some seed if only to practice on it

Have Mitragyna and plenty of others to swap.

I have seen pituri on sanddunes with no other plants nearby. Unlikely to be parasitic.

However, there is something very specific about their growth needs and I am writing this up at the moment for the conference and the journal. It is something unlikely to be mimicked in cultivation and the question is whether or not it is essential to survival (I hope not). My plants are doing well now that I have evaluated my data. My advice is to NOT treat this as an arid zone plant. I believe it has more in common with its closely related D.myoporoides rainforest cousin than with its habitat neighbours.

>pituri area??? :P:P:P

>'My plants are doing well now that I have evaluated my data....'

i didn't know that u already had some plants, did u grow them from seed or transplant them?

i have a prisoner also but it is a recent transplant so i've still got my fingers crossed.

in any case, no-one knows this yet cause i'm forever trying to get organised and forgetting to write it down but, all completed transactions will also recieve a botanical sample of the cured herb when it becomes available (in about a months time).

also, was wondering if these would be ok to send to the states, anyone know?

you're a sly dog Torsten , you kept that secret well, are they produced by that guy Adrien from SEP? it would be nice to see what u got and how much u paid hehe.

alright guys, many thanks for the interest, only a couple of trades left now, but as i have been inundated with Mitragyana , b.cappi and p.viridis i'm scrubbing them off the list, i would prefer just about anything else, so make me an offer.

Originally posted by JumpedAngel:

>pituri area??? :P:P:P

To call it 'pituri' in most areas is simply not appropriate as it wasn't consumed (or at least not harvested for consumption) in all but a tiny area.

i didn't know that u already had some plants, did u grow them from seed or transplant them?

I transplanted some and also took lots of cuttings. Most died, but a few survived. I doubt I will get any to survive from this lot, but I have learnt enough to be confident for the next lot.

also, was wondering if these would be ok to send to the states, anyone know?

There should be no problem with that.

you're a sly dog Torsten , you kept that secret well

I actually posted about it soon after my return from the Simpson.... I think.

are they produced by that guy Adrien from SEP? it would be nice to see what u got and how much u paid hehe.

I bought some of Adrian, but they are not ready for shipping yet. The ones I have here are what I collected myself.

I also have some seed which I have just sown. It's only a tiny amount and was immature, but I have high hopes for it anyway.

i would prefer just about anything else, so make me an offer.

Hmm, do I still fit into the Mitragyna group seeing I was one of the first to put my hand up

If not, I can spare an ephedra major plant.

must be a rock as there was no ripe fruit at all while I was there.

yeahhh he said pm him...

*******ok folks - all gone

*******anyone i havn't pm'ed yet will here from me soon.

Darcy - are you asking about my pic or torstens, as far as my pics go the really immature drupes are light green, then they go to that creamy yellow, then to that light brown, then to a light grey/purple and finally to a purple/black when fully ripe

pituri_seed.jpg

i've just uploaded an addendum to the trek i did, mainly dealing with what little i know about the plant, check it out, i'd be happy for any comments/interpretations.

http://ethnobotany-australia.net/forum/vie...opic.php?t=2703

yeahhh he said pm him...

and I did. I included it in another PM at EA.

See my comments about parasitism in your thread at EA.

So for who missed out dont be disheartened

Its very likely therell be WA Pituri seed in the not too distant future as the plants have been found and ID'd and the aproximate seding times as well. Its been bioassayed as being definitely of the tropane type but not overly strong. there are populations all over so the serach continues to see if there are varying chemotypes.

germination is said to be easy and fast but seedling mortality was high, well absolute, seeing as how there are none left.

Plants that grow along sand ridges generally have access to the water lens that sits deep in the sand ridge and is replenished as water percolates down into the sand

making them not really so drought hardy as much as being deeprooted occupying a niche that is well draining yet moisture retentive

chances are therell be lots of D myoporoides seed around too at EB4. might have to do a collecting trip with some early birds

Originally posted by reville:

Plants that grow along sand ridges generally have access to the water lens that sits deep in the sand ridge and is replenished as water percolates down into the sand

It's not 'down the sand', but 'up the sand'. The water these plants live on is groundwater, not rainwater. Hence they are barely affected by a decade of drought... but may well be severely affected by lowering water tables.

The water table below sandunes is elevated due to the weight of the sanddune sitting on top of the clay pan. Something about cohesive/adhesive forces and capillary action etc.