The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

Legality of Sida herb?

well well, don't you know it.

Edited by darcy

what is the legality of Ephedra sp. (dried herb) and other herbs containing similar or identical compunds of late?

Ephedrine is S9 and hence any preparation containing it is also S9.

I think HHH has it on their webstore and its in chinese shops, so is it actually legal again?

Any herb containing ephedrine is S9. There are ephedras that do not contain ephedrine, but rather pseudoephedrine, which is not restricted in herbal form.

Didn't the US turn around their Ephedra laws?

For the moment, but unlikely to last. But what has that got to do with Oz?

A huge patch of Sida cordifolia i've found has got me wondering... :devil:

If you don't advertise what's in it then no one is going to know. A friend tells me that customs recently cleared (ie inspected and cleared) a small shipment of high potency Sida extract. The name is obviously not flagged yet.

Is ephedrine s9 now?

I read its s4

and they changed the rules to reflect ak content of herbs which makes a sliding scale between s2 and s4

can sombody with the schedule clarify these details plz

OK, I may have got myself confused. I am sure I wrote the SAB page (where it states S9) with the relevant papers in front of me, but I cannot find any reference to S9 at this point. So maybe it's not S9 - BUT in effect it is anyway.

From what I could find on the web ephedrine is S4, but it is also listed in Appendix D which basically turns an S4 substance into S9 (unauthorised possession of S4+D is treated the same as S9).

On top of that ephedrine (and any preparation containing it) is listed in several of the state drug schedules. As federal S8 and S9 offences are prosecuted under state drug acts anyway, it is safe to compare the scheduling of ephedrine to S9 unless you live in a state where it is not listed. Ephedrine is listed in Qld too.

When I last had reason to need to know it was S4, however there were all these restrictions on it. Only available to public hospitals or through public hospitals I think, but there is no way you can get a prescription for it from a GP etc. Pharmacists do not stock it. In reality although S4 there is tigher control on it than S8 medications.