The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
zee_werp

Any thoughts on this un-ID'd trich?

Hi all

Just thought I'd share a pic of my friends cactus that we have been unable to identify...as you can see each areole is dominated by one main spine, and a few much shorter ones. Next time I'm up there I will get a better pic of it.

post-906-1128641843_thumb.jpg

post-906-1128641642_thumb.jpg

Looks like a sweet as Bridgesii!

Is this in the Cactus glasshouse you talked about?

To me it doesn´t look like a common one. It might be some peruvianoid but the spination and the big areoles confuse me a little bit. In my opinion it´s not a bridgesii.

No its not in the glasshouse, this is in a garden in the Northern part of the South Island. The area is renound as an excellent trichocereus growing area, that is where my main collection is located. They grow really fat, and put on a lot of height each summer. There are a couple of places with 200+ san pedros that are all 2 meters or taller up there.

I wasn't sure if it was a bridgesii or not. The spines seem a bit too short for it to be one, but then again there is a lot of variation within each species. This one doesn't get a lot of sun as you can see it is shaded by a rosemary bush.

Sometime soon I'll get some pics together of some nice NZ cactus gardens.

Thanks for sharing; it´s a nice one!! I´m looking forward to see more pics of this garden! I also like the plant on the right side of the Trich. What makes me doubt that it´s bridgesii is the shape of the Trichocereus. I´d say it´s too thick for being a Bridgesii but maybe it could also be some bridgesoid hybrid. Probably you´ll have to wait for the flower!

My first guess would be a macrogonus especially because it looks to be fairly slow growing,

otherwise a peruvianus of some sort.

It looks similar to some hybrids I have seen and have.

I suspect what ever it is it is a hybrid, I would guess between a peruvianoid and something else.

bridgesii are quite narrow plants, how thick is the one in the photo?

I'd say it's most allied with peruvianus, though I can see why some might say macrogonus instead. Not sure there's a clearly agreed upon distinction between those two anyway.

Looks like a few areoles may have a long radial spine pointing straight down, lying flat against the stem. I've yet to see this in a typical macrogonus, but have seen it frequently in a robust peruvianus, and occasionally in a peruv hybrid.

Yes it is quite a thick specimen, probably about 11cm or so wide. I think it is probably a hybrid too, it doesn't seem to fit cleanly into any one category. Theres a possibility Juuls giant is in the mix, those are very common up in the area this cactus was grown, as are standard pachanoi, and scolpolicolus. The longer spined trichs are quite rare around there, theres a few peruvianus and a few macrogonus, but a bridgesii would be a sight to see indeed.

This summer I'm intending to do a more thourough evaluation of the Trichocereus geneaology of the south island of NZ. Will try to visit lots of gardens and get many pics. I also want to get some of the acacias I see around the place ID'd...theres gotta be something there.

The plant certainly looks like a Peruvian form of T. macrogonus as opposed to the one described as coming from Bolivia which is like a T. terscheckii. The spination is a bit odd though.

I am very curious if there was any one in particular who brought these plants to Aus. and NZ. Anyone know who that might have been and when these plants might have arrived there? Should they have come as a collection and then spread from that, and had this happened many years ago, could it be that many of these original plants that came have since crossed and then been grown from seed to produce a number of interesting hybrids that account for some of their particular traits (this of course not to say that they weren't crosses before they arrived there).

Just curious. Any ideas? Who in the one who had such an interest in these plants to have brought them to that part of the globe?

~Michael~

Good point Michael. In my cactus forays this summer, I will make an effort to track down some serious collectors and see if there is any history behind it.

Any live plants that came in probably came in at least 20 years ago, as the border controls have been real tight for that sort of thing for ages. People still can bring in seeds for trichs etc though.

I know there are one or two cactus nurseries here in NZ that have caused widespread distribution of scopolicolus, pachanoi (juuls giant), and a few peruvianus. Whereas the majority of trichs that you can buy from people at flea markets etc, are your straight standard pachanoi.

It should be interesting to take a closer look at the trich diversity within NZ...will be sure to report back.

Ive mentioned this before but in Oz its South Australia that keeps on coming up again and again with these columnars and trichs in partuicular

there are hot spots and cold spost across teh country for cactus diversity and they oft have little to do with suitability for growth.

usually just one cactus nut is responsible for establishing many types in a local area, and theres perpetuate via your regular gardeners just taking cuttings

i hope in 20 years my area will have more than its fair share of quality cultivars