The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

What can you tell me about Blue unpasteurised cheeses?

If you can get hold of it, I'm sure you'd find the following book fascinating:

http://www.tagari.com/booksales/Ferment.htm : The Permaculture book of ferment and human nutrition, by Bill Mollison

It basically describes hundreds of different kinds of foods from around the world that involve microorganisms.

There are heaps of things that it would be interesting to grow, although I'm not sure I see the value in agar isolation, when you could just keep feeding them in their "natural" environment to maintain selective pressure. Other than cheese moulds, fungi that come to mind as worth a play are brewing yeasts, sourdough starters (although these also contain bacteria), mother of vinegar (again this is a yeast + a bacteria), kombucha culture (yet another yeast+bacteria), koji (soy sauce / miso culture, an Apergillus species I think) etc etc...

Re the intellectual property issue, I was interested a couple of days ago to read a statement along the lines of asserting copyright and ownership of "intellectual propery" on tub of delicious Jalna yohurt. I was not clear whether they're talking about the text/design of the label, or the recipe or the cultures, or what. I've always used Jalna as a starter for my own yoghurt, so I wonder... (Personally I reckon God owns the intellectual propery on life)

rkundalini:

If you can get hold of it, I'm sure you'd find the following book fascinating:

http://www.tagari.com/booksales/Ferment.htm : The Permaculture book of ferment and human nutrition, by Bill Mollison

Got it. had it for years and it was seminal in sparking my shroom amd fungus interest

just uncovered it few weks ago and this is the book that got me interested again

highly recommended , bills most practical and least celebrated book i think

Fungus amd ferment makes permaculture work - without it theres too much waste, too man raw ingredients and not enough internal recycling

especialln the fied of making these woderful permaculture planst n weeds into edible food!

My case in point lab labs and lima beans

Amazing plants but not well incorporated simply because as edibles theyre not that special

Buckets and buckets of dry beans from these plants with SFA work

But without knowldege of Tempeh they go to waste

Im amazed how simple it is to make tempeh

I bought some today and made dinner , easily the best soy product out there as it actuall y has that savoury edge lacking in tofu and TVP etc

Anyway im getting the starter cultures going

tempeh to spores to pure culture etc

Ill make some lima and lablab tempeh as soon as i can

as for why the pure culture the answer is that its safer for me and gives the user confidence

I can put pure spores of rhizoporus oligosporus into a syringe of water so you can make a 'mother of tempeh' starter in confidence. I can test to see its pure and ithat the only organsim is the edible one - no e coli, no salmonella or aspergillus flavus

Truth is you can get he inoculum out of wilted hibiscus too - or rice straw etc if you happen to be a starving POW for example

but theres the confidence you need when its all alien!

news too

the transfer from the bluecheese were 100% successful

perhaps it was the added antibiotic or the natural antibiotics from the cheese mould but no bacteria and and other species tuning up just a beautiful penicillium - a funky mould i must say ive never before welcomed!

pics soon

[ 29. September 2004, 22:37: Message edited by: reville ]