The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
aniMAL

Ballingup is magical...

Hi all,

I though that I would make my first post the this forum, one containing good news for WA. adventurers..

Two weeks ago I went down to the main mound in the hope that the subs would be up a bit early. Alas, just a bit early...

Returning this weekend, after a bit more rain and some colder days in between, things had changed for the better, by the hundreds infact...

So incase someone else has not announced it, the WA season has begun...

:)

Cheers

MAL

PS. Look forward to me asking lots of basic scientific question in the future...

Hey aniMal great to see youve found your way on :)

As i said in another post dont forget to take stubs and remnants and replant in wood mulch around the place

I got word from an experimenter over ther that spores placed in the duff around a solitary pine resulted in succesful establishment of a colony but that the colony didnt bear until the second year when it put out a decent number of fruits. It was nowhere near the natural colonies so high probability that it was the result of the spores laid down

Wild mushrooms can be printed on any paper without subtratcting from the use of the mushrooms. Suspend this in water and draw into a fat ol syringe and you have a mix suitable for innoculation into Woodpiles, forests, Gardens and parks. It doesnt haveto be sterile so just keep refilling the syringe and keep squirting

Its the lazy mans way to spread but it can work - the main factor is site selection. Try and get a nose for wher ethe shroom like while hunting so you can identify possible habitat later. Look for moisture and shelter as well as a nice food source like mulch and lots of partially covered twig and small branches of Pinus radiata and Eucalypts. Sites showing multiple other mushroom species also indicate a good microclimate and hydrology

[ 07. June 2004, 02:12: Message edited by: reville ]

hey Ballingup was the first thing that got me into mushies as i saw a documentery on them in Ballingup can't remember the name but it was a cool doco.So good on you WA guys for getting sum mushies once again and hopefully for many years to come.

If anyone in WA is really serious about trying to spread natures bounty to some pine plantations, do some reconnaissance in moist, low lying areas and look for the mushrooms with the brown stems I posted a picture of in the Galerina thread.

In SA they are ubiquitous with subs on pine. If you found those I'm sure there would be a very good chance sub mycelium would take hold.

The doco is called Forbidden Fruit.

Actually I think it's really amateurish, but I guess it tells the story to some extent.

is Forbidden fruit available publicly? if so where can you get a copy to view?

Forbidden fruit is the new doco

The old one i think you are referring to that was focused on SW WA was 'Fungimentary' i think?

Aaargh!

Yes, I don't know how I got that wrong.

The old doco is called Fungimentary.

The new doco is called Forbidden Fruit, and from what I have seen, is really not amateurish at all but great work.

Sorry for the confusion :confused: :D

I can confirm again that things are cranking along nicely at the main mound of Ballingup...

Another nice rainly day kept most of tourists away, fun was had by all, several hundred subs sighted...

:D

Its been a pretty good season in WA...

Despite rumors I heard from some people in Perf recently (not in this forum) that the season is over, I must state that they are full of shit, Ballingup is still fruiting...

:D

This is not to say that the ecosystem is not changing, it has been somewhat drier of late and the hills have been less bountiful than earlier, but the gnomes tell me that the valleys are still going just fine thankyou...

:P

The gnomes went there after a long dry ended a few days before and they say they have never seen so many perfect caps so close together, amazing what a bit of rain can bring on...

Cheers

MAL

I notice the gumnut beside the shroom animal

Corymbia calophylla - Marri

so was this on the usual river flats or around a marri tree

Ive always wondered if they like this wood as with the woodchipping that goes on and the massive piles near bunbury, or even just council loppings, it wouldnt be too hard to get a truckful of landscaping mulch :)

Revel, it is indeed a Marri gumnut, from what I can gather from the gnomes the photo was taken under a aged such tree in the upper part of the main valley of Ballingup...

The gnomes is aware of several such mycelium colonies up that way, they do like the Marri's, apparently in the hills there only the Marri, ferns and the odd pine systems were still fruiting, the brackens had nil...

Science rocks!

Cheers

MAL

Have I read this correctly? Shrooms fruiting of fern?

Wow, that's news to me. :cool:

The only thing I have seen in regards to this was the great photo in Bruce Fuhrer's "A Field guide to Australian Fungi", that shows some growing on a tree fern. I've always wondered if it was a more widespread phenomenon.

Yes strangebrew ferns or more like the broken down crushed decomposinf variety.

Direct fruit from the ferns is not so common even in such a system but the mycelium loves the stuff bigtime...

Cheers

MAL