Sign in to follow this  
liquid wolf

peroxide grown mushrooms

it MAY be slightly higher but shouldnt be

i was doling the same thing until i thought about it and read the PC manual

heh heh

Ive been using my rice cooker lately and its going very very well

Wheat is still evil - can be helped

But if you get good grain, precook it with gypsum or lime. Get the right water balance

the load it PC it 1 hour OR in 2 lots but make the total then 1.5 hours unless you do it in tandem, that is cook 45 min, cool quickly, add more water and PC the next 45 mins whle the core temp of the substrate is still very high.

Also Electro i dont know if ive mentioned this but 1.5kg is very BIG

I dare not go any higher than that and i have a true autoclave.

If troubles persist try scaling back by splitting the 1.5kg into 3 jars. The extra surface area will help colonisation time which inevitably reduces losses.

Oh and Peroxide shrooms are perfectly fine

Peroxide is in every cell in every plant and animal cell. Your body uses it to fight disease

and its in unpolluted rainwater.

3% is safe enough but we actually slpit that by 10 again so the conc. in agar or grain or substrate is about .03 to 0.045

This is the lower limits of effectivness

35% peroxide is nasty shit - wear goggles and gloves and keep away from copper

Cu + h202 sunk the Kursk

Guest electro

re "is it the liquid culture" ... yes, you were right rev.. it was the bloody dextrose culture - it looked fine except for tiny black dots at the bottom that i assumed was dirt.. under the microscope though they look pinkish and surprise surprise guess what colour the contam is after being left for several weeks to develop .. placing the myc syringes in an incubator for 4 weeks yeilds an impressive bright pink/purple syringe .. lol

re:

"3% is safe enough but we actually slpit that by 10 again so the conc. in agar or grain or substrate is about .03 to 0.045

This is the lower limits of effectivness"

wow - i wouldnt have thought it would be effective at all at this concentration... i would have thought that .5% would be the lowest you could go with it still being effective.

re "35% peroxide is nasty shit - wear goggles and gloves and keep away from copper

Cu + h202 sunk the Kursk"

Lol yup - either that or prepare for blond hair ... professional blonding creme is often 35% - 40% peroxide. It is also used as a stripper of sorts i think and in acid etching pcb ...

however the ratios really have to be watched in acid etching because as rev said .. copper (the metal being eaten away from pcb) + h202 = bad... but worse is the acid etch bath, which is Cu + H2O2 + H2SO4 (which if uncontrolled = lots of hydrogen + an oxidizer + lots of heat = boom )

[ 22. March 2004, 11:41: Message edited by: electro ]

Guest electro

beautiful :)

ive been looking everywhere for a digital copy of that .,..

thankyou

too bad its the old edition

the new one has a technique for re-using petris

go to mycomasters.com for the updates and if you feel like buying a copy

i was working on this petri recyling protocaol myself when i caught wind that hed already written up a procedure

I think its very possible using hot water pasteurisation followed by dipping in strong peroxide and assisted drying wrapped in alfoil

Not so useful for me (Labour) but good for home growers as the most expensive recurring cost would be petris - if you could reuse even 30% of the time it would help (not me - you !! )

Also re fractional and steamer sterilisation on the shroomery

It can be done but the size of the substarte and its characteristic are very important

PF works, grain doesnt

1/2 pint mason jars seem to work, anything over a pint and you are seriously pushing it

Smaller the better as it allows permeation of steam.

also i dont see the need to add peroxide to mycelial syringes. Any liquid inoculum is either clean or it isnt - thats the problem with it. If one is bad the whole batch is bad.

and although R wayne claims that regular spawn can be used in his paper pellet growout - this i have not found to be true with a trial of 5 species. All were significantly shocked by the transition , 2 didnt recover at all, i is stunted and the other two are just recovering now, those being the hardcore wood eater who probably use peroxide as part of their digestion process, reishi and lions mane. Theye wre innoculate firts weelk of march and should have been done in a week and a half, they have just recovered enough to start to grow now.

This is a bummer for me as id written up a page outlining how to use my spawn bags to expand into peroxide oven bag blocks. It works when they are simply baked and no peroxide is added

The stunted blocks were enriched but no contam yet which make me certain the proiblem is the peroxide.

i admit however i never tested the strength- i only used the listed conc in my calculations. It could be a strong batch. Ill repeat the xpt till i find a workable level becuse the potential is huge