The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
smogs

antibacterials

are there antibacterials you can use to stop bacterial growth but not inhibit fungal growth?

such as eucalyptus oil or something??

obviously u still have to be vigilent against other fungus but its 1 less thing to worrie about.

Antibiotics - old veterinary prescriptions are good (streptomycin, chloramphenicol and some others - avoid gentamycin as its quite toxic to humans). crush n dissolve then filter sterilise into agar just before pouring, or if heat stable add to agar before sterilisation

with a big but...

You really dont need them

sure you could use them but if you were to rely on antibacterials then you are probably not using proper technique and perhaps not producing a product fit for consumption

I dont use any antibiotics in general practice

I do have some tubes for when i go out into the field but in the lab peroxide is enough

Antibiotics are useful in cleaning up cultures with hidden bacteria on agar - Enoki is awful for this, or for cloning wild mushrooms but on agar bacteria is normally very easy to deal with - its moulds that give you the trouble and the reproductive cycle of these can be interrupted with peroxide (spores die)

in Aerobic coditions many species will eat bacterial colonies if given time

but you dont put them in the substrate