The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Trip Dr

print life

How long does a spore print stay viable for? Just wondering cause i've got some oldies i'd love to try.

cheers

Trip Dr

I've read that if they are kept in the right conditions (e.g. dry, cool place) they can last anywhere up to a year. I have also read that they can last indefinitely, though the longer you leave it the less chances there are that the spores will germinate.

Give it a shot, you've got nothing to lose.

[ 14. September 2003, 08:37: Message edited by: Shamanorrhea ]

They can last 4 - 6 years stored right though by that long you need a bit of effort to rehydrate and coax back into growth. Or stored incorrectly they may last 3 months

as said though best used within 12

I've been trying to get my spores to germinate over last 4-5 weeks. I stored them in ziplock bags (prints)with some dehydrating granules for just over one year. I'm not sure if those granules didn't dehydrate them too much as there is very little activity there...

I managed to germinate something in malted water, but didn't pay too much attention to hygiene, so can't be sure if it's fungal mycelia or mold...

Prints were taken from mushrooms I grew some time ago from the print I got from Reville. This fungus was extremelly agressive and robust, so I'm still hoping I will succeed eventually, as there are very few spore prints being offered on Ozzie sites currently.

One thing's for sure - next time I'm not storring my prints with any dehydrating granules...

Cheers

Vanda

Vanda:

I managed to germinate something in malted water

Similarly, I've had success germinating old spores in a honey water solution. Mixed approx. 1 tablespoon of honey to 1 pint of warm water, filled some small containers, sterilised, then added spores.