The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiders

Waterdragon's specimens

The conclusions from the species of mushroom found by Waterdragon and other varieties are as follows.

A and D as well as all specimens supplied by me from Melbourne, South Australia and Western Australia have lageniform to lechyniform and ventricose rostrate p.cystidia that are infrequent - the spore size and hyaline are all features shared by Ps.Australiana.

These characteristics are the same as Ps.Subaeruginosa other than the brown p.cystidia described by Guzman (which i think is incorrect)

So until i can examine Cleland's original description in detail, id say they are Ps.Australiana and/or ps.subaeruginosa proper.

C and D have four forms of p.cystidia, smaller spores and unique characteristics described by Guzman as Psilocybe Eucalypta.

Ps.Tasmaniana and unknown identifications were in error.

it seems that some of these prior descriptions are falling a little short of the mark. to see these specimens in the ground it's very hard to think of them as being anything but different species. the proof may well be in the fruiting? it's probably high time someone put THE definitive guide to australian psilos together, including piccys, descriptions, variations etc. anyone looking for a thesis or long term hobby?

mememe!

Im sure that A and D were pretty different, but B and C would have to have been reasonably similar - they were identical microscopically - i thought they were too unique to be Ps.Eucalypta, but this id is pretty definative- c and d have all the right shape and measurements. Three mycologists have given me the same response.

ill fruit them and find ou for sure.

[This message has been edited by bluemeanie (edited 17 October 2002).]

it would be an interesting thing to see these all brought up on the same substrate. i can clearly remember one lot having almost exactly the same shape as azu's. those were the ones i showed to shroomy during an outing, those are the ones i'll check first thing next season as they're the closest to home. one thing rev said a while ago about them really thriving on habitat (pine) destruction rings true.

i think you labeled them as A and they were pretty certainly identified microscopically as ps.australiana.

We'll wait until may for a definate answer

that being said, the micro ids are pretty conclusive.

Guest reville

What woud you fruit them off?

Id suggest hardwood - something they can all eat - ie pine would be no good as you wouldnt be able to compare to cyan or azurescens on the same substrate.

Liquidambar is one of the best woods ive seen for a range of wood loving species (shiitake, ganoderma, pleurotus, shimeji, tremells etc...)

I havent worked with poplar but i imagine this would be the same.same with oak for most.

Even native mshrooms that are adapted to pine and eucalypt probably will enjoy the added nutrition in exotic hardwoods.

Pleurotus australis does.

im using a bit of alder mixed with lots of eucalyptus- worked well in the past, so fingers crossed -

This is getting really interesting! One of my friends in the US has offered to do compatability tests on the mycelia of all these mushrooms. This and protein analysis may help us get from a 95% to 100% certainty. The mycelia of A of your specimens and my two from melbourne is identical, whereas the unknown i got from Aussieshroomhead and the subs i picked in NSW have a different textured mycelia.

your ps.eucalypta has mycelia that look nothing like these others and much more like psilocybe Cyanescens.

This is interesting when i was just reading over a piece by Buchanan contending that specimens of ps.australiana, tassi and Eucy from NZ were all synonymous when protein analysis was conducted.

[This message has been edited by bluemeanie (edited 26 October 2002).]

i'm glad it's you trying to figure this out. to complicate matters i'm pretty sure that there is at least one more distinct type in this area that i didn't send you a sample of.

Im working on some pictures and descriptions with some guys in the US that will soon be posted on the shroomery