The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Dunkel

A. Muscaria host trees

Cross-posted from Ethnobot. Australia (James):

the list of A. muscaria host trees:

Abies alba, Larix spp., Larix decidua, Picea abies, Picea sitchensis, Pinus spp., Pinus cembra, Pinus contorta, Pinus echinata, P. mugo, P. nigra, P. ponderosa, P. radiata, P. strobus, P. sylvestris, P. taeda, P. virginiana, Pseudotsuga menziesii, Tsuga heterophylla, Betula spp., Betula nana, B. pendula, B. pubescens, Fagus sylvatica, Populus trichocarpa, Quercus spp.

I have two other lists with some overlap. The above is from: Trappe, J. M. 1962. Fungus Associates of Ectotrophic Mycorrhizae. The Botanical Review. 28: 538-606.

The Quercus reference is from: Kalmar, Z. 1950. 1954. A kalaposgombak (Hymenomycetes) mykorriza kapesolatai. Magyar Agrar. Egyetem, Erdom. Kar. Evkon. 1: 157-187.

E D

There is also circumstantial linguistic and folk-tale association of the Quercus and Amanita in Celtic literature (aside from any actual occurences themselves, of course).

Oh, and of course I forgot to say 'ta' to Ed. Thanks for the info.

Anybody got too many of these fungi? If it's legal, I'd like to try to propagate them (in the interests of furthering our knowledge about the species only).

Guest reville

Prints should be OK but from the schedule of Muscimol (#9)it make australia one ofthe few places where Fly is illegal to consume.

Yeah, I know ('bout consumption- TB is illegal then? ;->). Try telling that to a certain herb-seller I know of, though.

Does anyone have any spores?

[This message has been edited by Gwydion (edited 27 June 2002).]

I've been pushing this at every oppotunity for years: Betula nana has some varieties that are only 30 centimetres tall. It is the usual symbiote of Fly Agaric in the (very) far North of Europe and Asia.

[This message has been edited by theobromos (edited 27 June 2002).]

gwydion, email me if you need a print, etc sent out.

wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Andrew (edited 28 June 2002).]