The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiders

Chang and Mills Vs. Stamets and Guzman

I am interested to hear what different people think of the findings of Chang and Mills as well as Buchanan regarding most Australian wood-loving psilocybes being synonmous with Ps.Subaeruginosa and the rejection of their findings by Guzman, King and Bandala (1993), Stamets (PMOTW) and John Allen.

Do Chang and Mills actually find mushrooms with pigmented brown Pleurocystidia??

What are the details of those findings, or where can one read them?

Cleland first described ps.Subaeruginosa as having a variety of forms, and a variety of cell-shaped Pluero cystidia.

Guzman came out and rejected this, defining four types of psilocybe in Australia - Eucys, Aust., Tass, and Subs...

Chang and Mills, also Buchanan rejected these findings by demonstrating synonymy between the spores of all four species (without Australiana) and other factors...

Guest reville

I guess it depends on the weighting you give

each characteristic.

I 100% believe that there are several cloesly related species. Why?

Macroscopic and ecological differences. Inconclusive eveidence but sufficient to suggest differences. things like habitat prefernce, size, cap colour

More importantly the Gill cystidia or lack thereof

and more recently the mycelial characteristics in culture, for example the wavy capped variant does not stain blue whereas the Subaeruginosa 'Kersbrook clone' blues strongly in response to disturbance on identical media.

has to be more than four, just has to be. of the ones i've examined recently in my area there is one type that resembles a wavy capped cyan more than anything, another that resembles pics i've seen of subs plus it grows in slightly shadier places, a pale capped variety with a dull sheen, another that very closely resembles pics i've seen of azures and the most irritating of all: a classic psilo that stains something frantic yet the gills never get beyond the juvenile colour even at full maturity and decay.

all these, except the last, stain blue, have the purple black print, classic shapes and are active(i'm told by a reliable source that i seldom disagree with). and that's just in isolated sections of forest in my area. who knows what waits under other varieties of trees and circumstance?

maybe the wavy cap should be called ps.subcyanescens (or maybe not...) maybe Ps.tripaloticus