The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Psytopia Conference Jamaica - CANCELLED !!!!!

bummer,... already took up my vacation for this year!

This conference has been cancelled at last minute. I don't think any aussies were on the way over, but I thought I'd let everyone know anyway.

Check the site for details.

Thats the saddest news I've heard all week.

I could imagine what alex is fealing to be far worse than the disapointment of ticket holders.

I didn't go simply because I heard about it too late. need a good 6 months to set aside cash for cost, even if it is a bargain.

But I was going to share the spirit by going on a "trip" to psytopia this weekend. But now I'm all confused and lost. maybe I'll just vist space instead.

Eventually Alex will come to his senses and start getting ideas about the next Psytopia.

Looking forward to it :)

I can't have much pity on someone who organised a conference without proper financial backing. When you put on an event like that you are not just taking responsibility for yourself, but for all your customers and associates. Relying on ticket presales to keep your event financial is unconscionable and as such the non-payment of 21 tickets is simply no excuse for the mess he has left everyone else in.

We've had a similar situation in Australia in the late 90's when the AEF cancelled a $500 per head conference a week or so before the event and everyone lost their travels tickets, accommodation etc - AND did not get the ticket refunded.

At least Alex has kept accommodation costs separate and has assured everyone that they can still travel and have a holiday - just that there won't be a conference. This was a smart move because I am sure a whole bunch of people would sue his sorry ass if they wasted their plane tickets because of lack of accommodation.

Before feeling too sorry for Alex, think about people like earth and fire from EROWID, who have spent good money to get themselves and some EROWID crew to this event. Money that is now wasted.

Think about the speakers who have made travel plans and probably even bought tickets only to find out they won't be speaking. These speaker often give their time for free and only travel to these events to help the community. Think about the next up-and-coming organsier who is going to have one hell of a time trying to convince any of them to take such a risk again.

Alex has done the WHOLE community a great disfavour. The consequences go well beyond the people he let down directly. As I said, if you don't have the financial backing you shouldn't take such liberties with other people's time and money. I am not saying Alex is a bad guy. I am sure his heart was in the right place. But sometimes that is just not enough.

[ 18. August 2005, 07:28: Message edited by: Torsten ]

Well thats just it, he didn't actually explain what the problem was.Basicly he just said there were too little funds and the problem was his fault.

The stupid thing is that if he had been honest about the fact he was having problems, rather than denying it right to the last minute, then I am sure other promoters or even the guests themselves might have bailed him out. If the issue was really just 20K, imagine how much money has been wasted in travel costs and people's preparation time. I am sure these people would have come up with the 20K just to see the whole thing go ahead. YOu have to keep in mind that the budget for such an event is a minimum of 100 x $500, ie 50K, but might be as high as 500 x $500, which is a quarter million.

[ 18. August 2005, 09:54: Message edited by: Torsten ]

geez I hope they're all slowly getting over it while they're there now. I coulnd't imgaine having a psychedelic experience with all that disapointment 'vibe' hanging around the group.

If I were Alex, I'd swear to repay the debt to everyone before the years out, somehow.

Such a thing would turn a travler, into a wonderer.

I don't know about the finances of speakers. The bands and DJ's that commited their time there are probably completely screwed.

Assuming that none of them are Sony/BMG (big label) artists, there's almost certainly thousands of dollars down the toilet, for the bands, at this point.

[ 21. August 2005, 07:17: Message edited by: Talby ]