The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

catalyst 24/3/05 ABC TV

CATALYST - The truth about vitamins

Thursday 24 March, 8pm, ABC TV

Popping vitamins is a billion-dollar industry. Nearly all of us have taken vitamins, but you could be getting too much of a good thing. This half-hour documentary names the vitamin pill medical trials that have been shown to weaken the bones of men and women - and may even fuel deadly cancer. (Note: Catalyst is now repeated on Wednesdays at 11:00am.)

(a review-not my words-love the " fuel deadly cancer " bit.--Nab.)

[ 20. March 2005, 05:34: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

i think looking for a conspiricy theory there may be pushing it but i shall wait till i see the program.

its common sense that too much of any one thing is bad for you.

too much vitamin c can affect your DNA which presumedly could result in cancer.

everything is a poison it is just a matter of how much is required. (butchered quote from somewhere)

medical 'findings' are often dodgy and support a preexisting viewpoint

Those who report them to the public often have zero scientific training and cant see a badly designed expt to save their life

u know the old trick - don a lab coat and syddenly youre the scientist on TV, slip on a stethoscope and people aasume u r a doctor....

Too much VitA i recall increased the risk of lung cancer

but paring it down to this generalisation means shit unless you know all the details of expt design and circumstances

also natural sources of vitamins or medicines often have other bioactive compounds that moderate their toxicity

eg ephedrine vs ephedra

in E sinensis is an ephedrine related compunds that counteracts the cardiac stimulation of ephdrine this reducing this well known toxicity

making the herb safer than the pure compound

so while pure ascorbic acid may have one effct lots of blackcurrants or a heap of terminalia ferdinandiana or acerola cherry fruits may have very different pharamcology

[ 22. March 2005, 01:21: Message edited by: Rev ]

anyone catch this?

mostly on vit. a.

how much is too much.

betacarotene allegedly causes lung cancer & retinyl allegedly causes osteoparosis--even at normal dietary levels?