The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Being

The Mouse blocks "Fahrenheit 9/11"

"May 6, 2004 – Editorial, New York Times

Disney's Craven Behavior

Give the Walt Disney Company a gold medal for cowardice for blocking its Miramax division from distributing a film that criticizes President Bush and his family. A company that ought to be championing free expression has instead chosen to censor a documentary that clearly falls within the bounds of acceptable political commentary.

The documentary was prepared by Michael Moore, a controversial filmmaker who likes to skewer the rich and powerful. As described by Jim Rutenberg yesterday in The Times, the film, "Fahrenheit 9/11," links the Bush family with prominent Saudis, including the family of Osama bin Laden. It describes financial ties that go back three decades and explores the role of the government in evacuating relatives of Mr. bin Laden from the United States shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The film was financed by Miramax and was expected to be released this summer.

Mr. Moore's agent said that Michael Eisner, Disney's chief executive, had expressed concern that the film might jeopardize tax breaks granted to Disney for its theme park, hotels and other ventures in Florida, where Jeb Bush is governor. If that is the reason for Disney's move, it would underscore the dangers of allowing huge conglomerates to gobble up diverse media companies.

On the other hand, a senior Disney executive says the real reason is that Disney caters to families of all political stripes and that many of them might be alienated by the film. Those families, of course, would not have to watch the documentary.

It is hard to say which rationale for blocking distribution is more depressing. But it is clear that Disney loves its bottom line more than the freedom of political discourse."

Moore had similar issues with publishers early on for 'Stupid White Men', but the shear volume of consumer demand pushed it through, here's hoping something similar will happen with this.

He says on his latest mailing list post "I will tell you this: Some people may be afraid of this movie because of what it will show. But there's nothing they can do about it now because it's done, it's awesome, and if I have anything to say about it, you'll see it this summer -- because, after all, it is a free country."

disney is aswell very anti drugs, funny considering that, because walt was an extreem heavy smoker...

in the 60 and 70's the disney coperation awarded mickey mouse medails to heroic young people.

a young man was given a medail for gardening work he did at a graveyard. when the disney people found out he cultivated hemp aswell at the graveyard he was puplicly shunned and had to return his medal!!

:rolleyes:

Hooray for the French!

Excerpt from latest Michael Moore newsletter:

"Hello from Cannes! I’m sure by now many of you have heard the good news—“Fahrenheit 9/11” has won the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival. It is the first time in nearly 50 years a documentary has won the Palme d’Or (the Golden Palm).

No, we still don’t have a distributor in America as I write this but after winning the world’s top film prize I’d give it about one more day (if that) before we have someone brave enough (and smart enough) to show Americans what the world can already see (Albania, this week, became the final country—other than the U.S.—to sign on with a distributor).

I am still hoping for a July release (4th of July weekend?) both in the U.S. and around the world."

:D

Michael Moore is doing wonderful things... if only he wasn't such a hypocrite. But I'd rather have a hypocrite tell me the truth about america than no one at all.

quote:

(Albania, this week, became the final country—other than the U.S.—to sign on with a distributor).

Does this mean that we get to see in the land of Oz.

Not that we can change how the US votes anyway.

Originally posted by Torsten:

Michael Moore is doing wonderful things... if only he wasn't such a hypocrite. But I'd rather have a hypocrite tell me the truth about america than no one at all.

..the editing of charlton hestons speech etc? Yeah, the dude's not perfect.. but is indeed making a difference for the better..

as for the aussie release i don't think anything has been confirmed yet.. apparently 'bowling for columbine' had a mainstream cinema release over here so probably something similar will happen with this new film... think 4th July world-wide release is a bit ambitious but well, we'll see!

actually, I was referring to the fact that he is a rich fat slob who seems to only criticise wealth as long as it isn't his.

On the other hand he does use his wealth for change which is a good thing.

Surely he does not criticise the fat, rich slobs for being fat, rich slobs but for being bad at treating others humanely and justly. All the more important in the rich, obviously.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with being fat, rich or a slob, I am one of those things.

Originally posted by theobromos:

Surely he does not criticise the fat, rich slobs for being fat, rich slobs but for being bad at treating others humanely and justly. All the more important in the rich, obviously.

well, "The awful Truth" used to stick with the theme of abused people, but on his website, mailing list and in interviews he makes his disdain for wealthy people known regularly.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with being fat, rich or a slob, I am one of those things.

LOL. I know you're skinny and broke, so that only leaves slob

Greater Union blockbuster release on 29th of July :)