The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Faces of Death

Hi everyone,

i thought i might use this thread to post some pics of contaminations i unfortunately had on some of my plants. I don´t use pesticides so unfortunately this happens sometimes. In the future, i´ll post all contam pics in this thread. If someone has an idea about the ID of some of these contaminations please let me know.

1st pic mildewed ?

normal_HPIM3497aa.jpg

normal_HPIM3493aa.jpg

normal_HPIM3491aa.jpg

normal_HPIM3489aa.jpg

normal_aa.jpg

normal_HPIM3495.JPG

[ 10. September 2005, 16:02: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

OK I'll take a shot at this

First of all pesticides don't have anything to do with direct contaminations... only their possible carriers -

and all of those a healthy plant can usually defend against anyway. imo, you should never need any poisons of any sort for a cacti.... (except) the only thing I've really ever used is snail bait.

First picture:

Er, what's the problem?

you have some skin imperfections and what looks like hard water deposits.

it looks a little bit yellow you may want to feed it a little better

Second Picture:

green mold

cause too much humidity. Try spraying with some rubbing alcohol then let dry. also you'll want to carefully break off the dried curled brown areas. and let it be exposed ot dry air.

Third and Fourth pictures: (links!)

Wow, they look baked. where were they kept?

on the dashboard of the car in the middle of summer?

OR did someone follow some very lame advise and put the cuttings in a closet for a few months with no light?

Fifth Picture:

Cause: Bacterial Rot. infection from open wound before healing.

Solution. surgery... use a clean knife and cut well up and away

from the rot into the healthy tissue.

Expose to dry air and allow for it to heal.

Sixth Picture:

small bacteria or fungal infection

on a fresh cutting.

leave it alone and let the plant heal up lay it on it's side.

expose to dry moving air.

if it gets worse... surgery.

Hi,

mostly these infections occured because i took cuttings. PIC1 seems ok too me too but do you recognize the fine white layer on the under ground of the plant? I am concerned that it could be a infectious fungus.

The Small yellow cutting changed his color overnight. When taking it, 2-4 Weeks ago, it´s was green and healthy. I was wondering that it lost it´s color that quick. I am sure that this change in color is not related to the storage. Thanks for your thoughts.

[ 11. September 2005, 11:02: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

id say that yellow cutting is rotten the whole way through, i think if you cut it in half you'll find the tissue is rotten or starting to rot.

as for the white stuff, like flip said it looks like hard water deposits, i've got that on a few terracotta pots, not on actual cacti though. kinda looks like you've been pouring water right over the top of it, or maybe your rain is just crappy

I´m glad that the plant on Pic 1 seems to be ok. Thanks!I am going to give it more love in the future. I didn´t water/feed a while as i thought the layer could be due to fungal cause. This Moldy Bridgesii is very vulnerable to fungal infections. I took about 20 cuttings from this motherplant and 3 or 4 suffered from this.

strangebrew

Yours looks very strange. Somebody has an idea what this is? How did this start?

[ 11. September 2005, 12:38: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

No I doubt it.

It was a big orange blob for most of winter then went soft and now it seems to be hardening up.