The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Vascular Bundle ?

Hi Everyone,

recently i encoutered a plant which was labeled Trichocereus Peruvianus. As the plant looked interesting, i decided to make some cuttings. During this procedure, i had enormous Problems to cut through the vascular bundles. The Vascular Bundles of that plant are much stronger than all i´ve ever encountered. What informational value has the strenght of the vascular bundles? Best Regards EG

Strong bundles are known with many upright phenotypes and older material.

The first cutting I ever bought before I knew anything had wood for vascular bundles. LOL

When I chopped it up I had to use a saw and it was hard work. I thought it was the norm. LOL

I've found the vascular bundles on mature plants with multiple 'arms' to be very strong and requiring a serrated blade to cut. Once they are cut the centre softens and the ends can be cleaned up with a knife.

Thanks for your replies. In this case i was curious how strong they really can be. A Katana would have been quite more useful than the knife i´ve used to cut down that unbreakable cactus tree.

So i guess that you aren´t able to divide into species or subspecies when looking at the vasular bundles ?

[ 01. August 2005, 15:59: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]