The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

ID Question / Chilensis?

Hi everyone,

i bought this unlabeled cutting and i´m asking myself if this could be a Trichocereus chilensis. The pics are bad because it is very hard to handle. I have some chilensis seedlings which look similar. Best Regards EG

th_e18_HPIM2757aa.jpg

th_524_HPIM2755aa.jpg

Wow man, nice plant, where did you pick that up at? It looks quite the same as a T. peruvianus (T. cuzcoensis?) I got in my collection that comes from the Boyce Thompson Arboretum.

You plant is certainly not T. chilensis/chiloensis.

Do a google image search of these names and you will get a nice assortment of hits. I wouldn't use seeds for comparison as they pretty much all look the same when young.

~Michael~

Hi Michael,

i bought it from another german breeder. I´m partcularly interested in buying all kind of unlabled Trichos so i acctually couldn´t miss this one. I encluded another pic showing a better view. I don´t know if i should keep it on that lenght or if it would be better to make some cuttings. Its a very nice plant but i want to make sure i can get a small stock of them. Probably i´ll take away a little bit of the lenght. Look at the weird skin coloration! I was curious about that synthetic looking kind of green.

Best Regards EG

th_bab_HPIM2758aa.jpg

[ 31. July 2005, 01:14: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

I don't think that looks like the cuzcoensis, but it does look like a peruvianoid, though not a Macrovianoid.

I often will cut plants thinner than that into 8 cm sections, let then callous, and then root them. With a little skill, and a bit of luck I can get more than one pup growing on each section.

I'd agree with Archaea that isn't quite all cuzco, but it isn't the T. peruvianus/macrogonus sort either. Are the radial spines not straight, but slightly curved back towards the body? My BTA T. peru does that. The BTA plant also has the very irregular appearence of central spines, and when they do form at all they almost always are bent and curve to one side or the other.

The spines on your plant have a really nice dark color and also somewhat swollen bases like T. cuzcoensis.

~Michael~

Hi,

thanks for your thoughts about this one!

i´m not sure about the Radial spines. Some of them are pointed curved back towards the body and bent. Some of them are straight either. Most RAdial Spines are curved. Please note the very distinct V-Marks and the odd fell on the areoles. These are up to about 3 cm in diameter. Central Spines are mostly present and are up to 3 cm in lenght.I assume that the whole Plant has a size of about 80 to 90 cm.

th_74a_HPIM2760aa.jpg

th_25b_HPIM2761aa.jpg

th_48e_HPIM2764aa.jpg

[ 31. July 2005, 03:44: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

That plant is stunning!

quote:

Please note the very distinct V-Marks and the odd fell on the areoles. These are up to about 3 cm in diameter.

Wow, 3cm areoles!

Wow, 3cm areoles!

ROTFLMAO

thought of u SB and did a google search

fot you

:D :P :D :P

[ 31. July 2005, 11:34: Message edited by: Rev ]

Har Har :) The link is so funny. Í think i´ll leave the cacti behind. The Areoles in Revs link are much cooler. I would love to bioassay them...