The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Plantsoma

White Oil on Cactii

Has anyone else tried using white oil on cactii?

I sprayed a small amount on some scale affected T. scop's and it has virtually turned them to mush in a few days :mad: There is a black tar like sap seeping from the cactii skin and the skin has discoloured to the point of being very soft and mush-like and i believe they will rot away.

Does anyone know what has happened here ?

White oil seems detrimental to cactii. I'll NEVER use white oil again on cactii.

Hmm, you probably should have asked the question before applying the oil.

The black rot is completely different, it's a fungal infection, pretty much impossible to completely get rid of (i.e. if you get rid of it, it'll probably come back eventually).

Cut your scops up, destroy the black rot infected bits, you only need a thick tissue soaked in warm soapy water to remove scale!

Keep the cuttings dry, the dryer they are the less chance of the black rot coming back.

thats why i allways say, wash it off after a minute...

I use pyrethrins on scale but only after i manually wipe them off using methylated spirits or isporopanol on some paper towelling

the poison catches the ones deep in the crevices

in case u missed it b4

mancozeb is effective against eary stage black rot (helminthosporium cactivorum - i believe)

but it wont save you in a bad climate or with bad environmental managment

sunshine and good airflow is very important

I've also seen oily topical insecticides lead to black rot. And I've also seen the plants recover, scar over with brown patches, and return to normal growth. Unless the plants are like really covered over with the rot, and not just a spot here and there, give them lots of sunlight and low humidity if you can and they should take care of themselves. I wouldn't recommend pitching them until it looks like you coming up on the plant being 50% destroyed. These things can take a beating.

~Michael~

Thanks everyone,

your advice is priceless :D

so did the oil clog its pores?