The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Trichocereus Peruvianus? Weird Form!

Hi Everyone,

i recently bought this Cactus. It was labeled Triochocereus Peruvianus. Due to the seller, it is a habitat plant from Peru.

As the spikes are very long for a peruvianus, i doubt that it actually is one. The longest spikes are about 10 cm in lenght. The Body looks very distorted too. It has 8 Ribs.

Maybe someone has an idea,what this actually is.

Best Regards EG

th_a76_HPIM2664aa.jpg

th_551_HPIM2668aa.jpg

th_16a_HPIM2665aa.jpg

[ 06. July 2005, 17:33: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

A picture would be worth a thousand words.

I dont meant to sound like a preacher and

Im not sure how you feel about it your self but isnt getting cacti harvested from natural habitat a bit like buying ivory or something.. promoting the over harvesting of a dwindling natural resource.

Hi,

i encluded some pics above.

In my Opinion, buying rare cacti to propagate them and to make sure they´ll exist in the future is a good idea. I do not eat them. Every endangered species i grew in the last years, was duplicated very often, to get a safe stock.Some Plants were handed out to some capable Breeders then.

But i fully understand your concerns. Some people might not be interested in the future of a species. Best Regards EG Wells

[ 06. July 2005, 15:22: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

lovely plant!

so u say a "habitat plant"

whats the deal with CITES and those

Those would be covered by CITES 2 classification

(endangered stuff is CITES 1 and trade is prohibited except seed)

dont think id buy a wild collected plant (when seed is so easy) but its certainly a lovely one

is there collection data with it? specific location?

that would give it some scientific vlaue - including tangible conservation value, that is we know wher eit should be put back if that ever became feasible

[ 07. July 2005, 10:01: Message edited by: Rev ]

As i bought it from another Breeder from Germany which allegedly collected the plant in Peru, i didn´t cared about Cites and similar. I really can not tell for sure, if it is truly a habitat plant, as i didn´t collected it myself. I would have bought it too, if it would have been grown in germany. I would even prefer this possibility, as i don´t want to facilitate overcollecting of wild plants. I´ll have to hook up on the Breeder. Maybe he can make some more information on the origin.

I believe the distortion of the plant is just where it has shriveled while it used up its reserves to put out new roots.

Those are some wicked long spines, and to me lend credence to the idea that it is a habitat collected plant. Possibly it was grown with free root run in a large glass house, but I'm doubting the solar intensity in Germany would support that type of growth.

Thanks for the Reply. Is it usual that habitat plants are more variabel? I mean, can the long spines be the result of the very good conditions in its natural habitat and the generous root run?

EG

quote:

As the spikes are very long for a peruvianus,

Where did you get your information about that?

You know several types of cacti are endangered in their native habitat because of collection for cultivation. Preservation is a ridiculous reason to purchase wild collected material. Seeds of cultivated specimens are much more ideal if you actually want to cultivate to preserve plants.

Do what you will, however to disregard CITES restrictions in regard to wild collected material makes me feel inclined to post some nasty words. The nice version is; that is not cool.

If people wipe out native populations in the name of preservation, then they are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Anyway, it is a nice plant.

There is plenty of material in horticulture that you can buy without giving money to people that directly or indirectly support wild collection.

In several cases wild material has longer spines that cultivated material. In some cases horticultural material has been selected for shorter spines, in other cases the bright calcareous conditions promote the longer spine growth. Spines play a major role in the PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) reception of the plants, as well as microclimate. This might even have a bearing upon the spineless growth that turns up on occasion in some species.

Hi,

thanks for your detailed answer. According to RITTER /Kakteen in Südamerika Bd. 4, the lenght of the spikes is sometimes more than 10 cm. I personally never saw a Peruvianus which had spikes from that lenght and assumed it is not that often that they get this long and this could be also another species.

I fully understand your concerns about wild collected plants. I personally do not collect plants from the wild and do not approve this.I never had anything to do with cites when buying some Trichocereus in my own country.It´s not that i debase the importance of CITES. Nevertheless i don´t want, that a plant which maybe unique and worth propagating, is ending up in the cooking pot of someone. So i chosed to buy it instead for horticultural purposes. It is true that this behaviour is creating a market for habitat plants. To be honest, i was a little bit unconcerned about this in Advance. This is the first wild collected plant in my collection. I do not plan to buy any more; i don´t wan´t to endager my karma. Nevertheless, it´s hard for me not to buy an interesting plant which is freely available.

[ 06. July 2005, 19:43: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

Its cool, I don't think you are a problem. I just wanted to share my thoughts on this.

I have to admit that i really had a guilty conscience for a short time. In my case, that´s a very uncommon thing. :)

Thanks for sharing your informative thoughts, Archaea!

Later

nice plant to have, hard to ID

fits the descriptions for Eulychnia (ok after more looking it doesn't look much like most Eulychnia ritteri) Doesn't look like a Trichocereus either to me.

[ 07. July 2005, 02:59: Message edited by: faslimy ]

yes, that is a dyhydrated cactus. It looks like a cactus I have too. Which is Trichocerues Glaucus. I bought it from KK in peru.

Good chance that it has actives when I asked trout for his opinion about Trich Glaucus.

[ 07. July 2005, 02:23: Message edited by: brian ]

I'm definitely going to say it is a Trichocereus, and it is certainly dehydrated.

I can't wait to see pictures after it is good and hydrated and new growth is forming. If your temp is up then water water water!

It certainly isn't the T. glaucus of Sacred Succulents, and I don't think you will find Trout offering much support for Knize's ID's. It certainly doesn't fit the descriptions of T. glaucus (Echinopis glauca) in Anderson.

I want to know the collection location for the plant!

~Michael~

the link i posted got deleted,

so nothing to say, apart from,

have a good day!

hmm, the post appeared again!

michael can you pleas take a quick look.

http://ethnobotany-australia.net/community...opic.php?t=3658

i think it's cereus peruvianus monstrous and not a trich.

[ 08. July 2005, 08:56: Message edited by: planthelper ]

Looks exactly the same as the one I have that was bought from KK ( Infamous for misslabeling and wrong IDing plants ) but it is definitely the same cactus. So would be cool for me too if I could find out what kind of trich it is.

the one on that eba link is cereus peruvianus monstrose but the one up the top of this post aint, id say trich for sure.

looks like a really thirsty peruvianus apart from those killer spines

watch out, cops find that they'll charge you for GROWING a weapon :)

i once saw a large ammount of trichocereus peruvianus (sent from south america) at the glw shop in vienna.

so i would not be surprised if that is a cutting of this shipment.