The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Trich ID?

This Peruvianus looks unlike others i have

All the seedlings look the same though heres 2 of 4

normal_Peru1.jpg

normal_Peru2.jpg

Thin darker spines with a powdery bluish coat. The midday sun accentuates this.

Ill get a shot at another time of day too to compare.

Seed was from EA or SAB 2 years ago. Im leaning towards EA as the source, as i have an SAB batch from around then and it looks just like the KK242.

[ 07. October 2004, 22:25: Message edited by: reville ]

omg!! that was grown from seed 2 years ago??

Ok well actually a bit over 2 1/2 when i trace back

They were started in test tubes on moist perlite on my fridge after surface sterilsation back in late Jan 2002. Then they were potted on at a couple of cm to an expanded clay/perlite mix with grow nutes and put under lights over the cooler months when they grew to about 8cm by Jan 2003. Cant remebre what hapenned after that until they went in the ground september or so last year at about 12 cm. The ground was infested with weeds which were slasehed and/ or burnt giving a well drained mineral rich bed for all the plants. The Peruvianus are at the base of the bank so keep whatever nutrient rich seepage makes its way down the hill. These are doing the best of all the cacti, the ones on the slope are interplanted with Heimia and aizoaceae for effect and are doing OK

From then until now they have just thickened up and grown and i only really noticed them again recently when u cut back all the Tagetes that was dying due to drought. The ones in the pic are now about 23 and 24cm now.

The point just below their size whne they went in can be seen on the second photo where the extra rib starts and begins an uninterrupted growth spurt.

All the fertiliser they got was the ash, a bit of mushroom compost mulch and the straw mulch.

But the growth rates for pachanoi seem to be about 30 to 50cm a year in the same situation plus pups. Its easy to measure as its this time last year the black rot broke out and it leaves a distictive scar where it attacked the new growth. Thsi year a mancozeb prophylatic and drier weather nipped it in the bud.

Once they get over 8-10 cm and get in a sunny, mulched fertile spot they really take off. In the ground gives growth rates easily double to that in pots

Here like in Perth they dont go dormant they just slow down a bit. The limiting factor here appears to bewater - i lose a full 3 months of prime growing time waiting for the rain

[ 07. October 2004, 22:29: Message edited by: reville ]

You seem to get good growth but not much luck with the flowering hey Rev.

What are the minimum temps. like in your area?

I recently found this picture of a 5 year old pachanoi in Israel.

One of mine(2 branched) and in a pot, is about the same age and only the same size as the pach. branch on the left, but thicker. It averages about 20cm a year with no flower's, flower's seem to halve that. In the ground is definately the way to go if possible.

Look how many flower's are starting on this one! Amazing!

israel.jpg

take this with a large grain of salt...

but i seem to recall reading something once that recomended putting them in a dark garage for a while and feed them to increase likely hood of flowering

BUT that is VERY here say

Thats right - only my scop ever flowered just before i left Perth

Ive got some great pics but need to scan them to show

Min temps here I think - my max/min thermometer is elsewhere - about 3C? maybe lower not sure

Theres no frost though

Im not sure cold is everything though as the Pedros at tropical fruit world flowered last year and thats near tweed heads on the coast

In contrast my Pedros out west went through at least -5 dips at night over a few weeks, and subzero minimums according to the max/min till just a few weeks ago and they are much bigger than than some ive seen flowering on the forums in Pots in Victoria

But then it can hardly be daylength when they come from subtropical lattitudes?????

Smogs - might be right. The most reliable way that keeps on coming through is to take a section lareg enough to fruit and cut it and leave it unrooted

The Guy who sold me my first Pedros, and I think Gomaos and fractal - confirm? did this and succeded

[ 07. October 2004, 22:33: Message edited by: reville ]

So the one's in WA haven't flowered either? Are they in the ground?

Stressing excetera, is one way to do it but it doesn't explain why that one in Israel is going bezerk and there's also a large, old patch nearby in someone's yard that flower's really well.

Flowering in S.A. doesn't seem to be a problem.

[ 08. October 2004, 11:28: Message edited by: strangebrew ]

The ones that were in WA are now here - minus rootsocks

This strain flowered for the original owner in perth

The limbs separated from a 12 year old plant that had never flowered were callused and replanted and flowered

None have ever flowered for me

I would like to send one to somewhere where other pedros relaibly flower to see if its starts or if its just a shy strain

I cant complain too much - as you see it puts all its energy to growth