The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Xenomorph

safe for the gnomes?

It is just scar tissue isn't it? Has more of those healthy phytoalexins. If it suffering from a fungal attack I would avoid it for a few years. If it is healthy I doubt any harm would come to any mythical creature that ate it, though some have harder stomachs than others.

hey thanks for the reply.

I think its scar tissue, i was informed that it had "scales something something" on it, perhaps an insect or something. but i was told not to insecticide it for some reason or another.. anyway the mythical creature will remove the skin so if nothing bad is underneath it.. all should be good to go yeah?

Alkaloid concentrations in scar tissue would in my estimate be lower due to the fact that the alkaloids are generally present in the outermost flesh of the plant. Scar tissue can run deep and so this section would likly contain fewer alkaloids by weight in comparison to healthy flesh. Also, if the scar tissue is no longer under attack, but has rather calloused the area, and if alkaloids are a protective feature, the area that is protected by callous may not bear the same degree of alkaloids as the "need" might be lower. I have heard anecdotal reports that section of cacti that have "hardened" up really good with age do not appear to bear the same concentrations of alkaloids as young sections of mature plants.

A few things to think about, but maybe more than you really need. But in all likelihood the differences in alkaloid concentrations would be negligible in view of the amounts of flesh some anonymous "gnome" might have to ingest in the first place.

~Michael~

agreed, i threw it to the hermit and he gnawed it up like no tomorrow. roughly 45cm at 7cm. still cant get over the extremely disgusting taste he reckons. to the hermits surprise no effect was to be had. extremely dissapointed after the bad taste.

the hermit had a few questions for me to pass on to pleasant and informative people over at the forums.

1. has anyone encapsulated this stuff into gelatin caps?

2. good method for doing so? ie. what do u ground it up with and is core or anything else removed?

sections of pedro that, have been scared allways show a much thinner, "deep green" outermost (most prized/sought)layer.

Pretty easy flesh to powder to put in caps:

1.one rib at a time,slice the skin shallow with a knife between ribs and on the apex of each rib spines removed

2.peel both flaps of skin off one rib (easier than it sounds!)

3.slice across at 90' all the way along the rib down to the core making triangular chips.

4.slice the chips off the core(base of the triangles)

5.repeat each side

6.dry

7.powder

8.cap

9.throw them to the dog :D

yeah that seemed to be the case in the part with the scarred tissue planthelper. damn was i dissapointed

mescalito interesting method, certainly something the hermit is trying for next time. although perhaps using at least 3 foot of pedro. hehe he had unsuccessful and frustrating attempts at removing the skin and in the end blenderized everything core and all. I hear the core adds to the nausea too.

regarding 6 + 7

- to dry just leave under the bed like a normal cutting? any period of time?

- was also wondering how to get to powder form after drying?

cheers

Every aspiring researcher should own an electric coffee grinder as a tool of the trade

Not that i recommend using for this application though