The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
beeppeyo

Best Time to Graft Loph onto Trich?

I am just curious, is there a particular time of the year best time to graft loph's onto trich's?

As I am in Brisbane.... does the weather conditions/climate make any differences when grafting in anytime of the year for better successful rate?

I mean for example would be Ok to graft Loph's in Feb/March in QLD?

Cheers for your replies....

I did search, but couldnt find any answers.

Thanks for your help.

Beep :confused:

Time of year is not important but I would keep them inside until the graft takes. You want them to be at least 1/4" in diameter, the loph, before grafting. I've heard from people who were successful with smaller ones but generally you want them about that size. Try practicing with less imporatant plants until you are sure your grafting tech is good.

Stoney

Guest electro

anytimeof the year is good for grafting !

seriously though i prefer to do in spring summer maybe early autumn.

hottest then so things dry & dont rot as easily .. also the growth rate is much higher then & the graft takes (and shows signs of growth) much faster.../

If i dont see new green on the pup within 3 weeks i regraft ... it may be premature, but id rather regraft & try again than wait until it shrivels & dies or rots ontop of another cactus .. (mind youive been doing very small ones (1/2 - 1cm diameter) ,... the 2.5cm buttons are much easier and have a higher success rate.

also dont take my word most of mine died ! lol/... the great liquefication of 03 Lol.... poor grafting stock ...i saved my big one though ..it is rerooting atm but has HEAPS of pups to rebuild colection with ...