The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
psycho0

cactus preperation?

hello everyone

a FOAF was asking this question not long

ago.

are you able to just stuff the fresh

cactus in the food processor, and drink?

i thought someone here might know?

it would be a fair bit of stuff to drink, yeah but it would be quick and easy. biggrin.gif

any info would be great, thanx

psyco0

Guest wira

Maybe not easy, when it comes to getting it down! I imagine that would be pretty thick and chunky wink.gif Removing the spines would be a good idea. There are many methods people have suggested for preparing cacti for consumption. Many can be found on the net without much effort. Of course if doing this for medicinal purposes you would want to be sure that the cactus did not contain any prohibited substances, because you would then be breaking the law.

Guest Ramon

Juicing would work. It would be quick but not to sure about easy as some of these cacti have the most revolting taste.

As wira mentioned using this method for those cacti containing mescaline would be illegal in Australia.

Guest TAXMAN

AFOAF may have tried this on the weekend..about 2 ft off pach. and blended it up.. he said if you blend it for too long it would foam up and make it extremely hard to get down.. frown.gif mmm froffy mucus with extra bitter chunky appeal.. yum..

but he did say that adding lime or lemon juice helps significantly, like a bitter cancels out a bitter taste??

boiling the amount down would make it a little less to swallow though..

Guest wira

yeah, but it also makes it thicker and concentrates the taste wink.gif Also, if you mean boiling down the blended cactus, then that would just boil off water and leave a pile of cactus mush. Even worse to get down. As Ramon pointed out, juicing is a viable option, but simply blending it isn't making things much easier on yourself.

Reliable voices suggest that cooking at high temperatures, or extending cooking times, to reduce the liquid, is likely to result in increased chance of there being strong nausea.

Guest TAXMAN

wouldnt boiling at low temp for 1-2hrs make the little tiny bits o cactus go extremely mushy..breaking them down into almost liquid making it easy to get down? after all is there anyone who cant swallow 1 small glass of the most rat shit tasting fluid if they want the results??

yes there is a person who can (will) not swallow one small glass of the most rat-shit tasting fluid. a friend returning from vietnam brought back a strong drink labelled as 'tache' and we got stuck into it, the taste wasn't great to start with - like they were trying to hide something, then i noticed the picture of the gecko on the bottle. it repeated on me for most of the night , was out of bed at 3 a.m trying to remove the taste with some tequila, can't even stand the smell of it now.

Guest reville

seen my muffin tek?

works great for edible cacti you know tunas and nopals of course

you despine,skin extract your edible flesh

treat with lemon/lime juice

cook slightly strain through cloth

mix solids with flour then butter and other tasty bits

then add your liquid which is soaked up

can you eat a non slimy but bitter muffin?

Guest wira

"wouldnt boiling at low temp for 1-2hrs make the little tiny bits of cactus go extremely mushy..breaking them down into almost liquid

making it easy to get down?"

Believe me, it is much easier to get down if you strain out the solid matter. Yes, the tiny bits will go mushy if tiny enough, but if you are heating raw blended cactus you will still just be cooking off some of the water that is already there and making the whole thing thicker. If you don't reduce it, the amount needed to be drunk will in most cases be well over a glass, more like half a litre or more. The thicker it is the harder it is to get down. Ever tried drinking a glass of extremely bitter snotty phlegm?

"after all is there anyone who cant swallow 1 small glass of the most rat shit tasting fluid if they want the results??"

It definitely takes dedication to the cause, so to speak, but I do know a number of people who find it impossible to get down without it coming straight back up wink.gif

Guest TAXMAN

"can you eat a non slimy but bitter muffin?"..

umm.. do u have any spare? i could go a few now.. wink.gif

Guest robots123

hello,

I use the tech whereby you:

despine (bonsai concave cutters good for this)

peel of skin

cut away green tissue and keep

dry for 1-2 weeks in dark airy spot

grind and eat with strong lemon cordial

taste is still ordinary but bearable

i think other blender techs create too much to consume

wonderful trips

better than a lot of T's around

more experiments to come

Guest wira

We'll assume for your sake that you're talking about a crazy dream you had recently.

Just wondering how much of the green stuff you dreamed of eating? Ie what wet weight of whole cactus would you use to get the right quantity of green stuff? Just interested to get an idea what proportion of the total mescaline resides in the green stuff (as has been reported but not confirmed analytically afaik) compared to the rest.

The technique suggested by K. Trout is to puree in a blender, add lime juice, pressure cook for 20 minutes (or boil for 30-45 I think he says), filter through cloth, keep liquid, re-extract the solids in lime juice again, combine liquids, cool and consume. Reduction of volume by boiling is not recommended due to possible nausea as wira mentioned. The idea is to add only a few limes/lemons of juice to minimize the volume but make it runny and acidic enough still to extract efficiently. 900 g of cactus works out to about 500-700 mL to drink, not too bad. In a dream I found it acceptably palatable as a frozen then thawed slurpee, but given the weak effects it was probably deficient in mescaline which may ordinarily be largely responsible for the bitterness...

Guest TAXMAN

gees.. 900g's of cactus... in my dreams i have only 400-450g's for a night's worth of happy dreaming.. my hat goes off to those who can consume 900+ grams.. keep dreaming smile.gif

By the way, regarding the original question, as others have said you could just puree and drink but it wouldn't be pleasant. Also you'd have to clip the spines off first as they don't necessarily get totally powdered in the blender.

Re 900 g, well potency varies widely but as a few authors point out, a stronger than expected cactus dose is not nearly as scary and difficult to handle as say a high dose of mushrooms, and aiming high avoids the "dreaded underdose". There's a common perception that mescaline is "mild" but apparently it is not so if taken in suitable dosage. (as I said my dream was almost inactive so I am talking from reading here, not experience)

Guest robots123

Hello,

I followed the cactus jerky tech which is on other net sites and have very good results.

require approx. 8-14 inchs of cactus I find but depends on person.

the very green cactus seem to be the stronger

after drying the cacti I cut up to very small pieces so it gets into the system easier

remenber most stimulants as discussed are light sensitive i.e LSD and temperature senistive

by locating the green tissue you are reducing the volume of material in your stomach therefore quicker and more pronounced results

anyhow

see you

[This message has been edited by Ramon (edited 17 March 2001).]

Guest robots123

hello,

sorry when talking 8-14 inches, also around 2 - 3 inchs in diammeter.

very large San pedro not necessary more green tissue

Guest frogaroo

Hello,

I've just joined this BB and find it remarkably informative; and also it's nice to 'share' with local souls!

Re. preparing pedro: has anyone dreamt of using a juice extractor instead of a blender? In this case, fiber would be separated, which may *not* be a good thing. Any thoughts on the matter?

Rgds,

frogsta

Guest wira

Robots123, I hate to come across heavy the first time we meet, but could you please re-read the forum rules as you are incriminating yourself. A slight re-phrasing could easily deal with the problem, which I hope I shouldn't have to spell out.

take care,

wira

Guest Ramon

robots123 I have edited the post as you may notice. I have tried to minimize the changes made. Please email me if you are unhappy with the changes and will discuss why I did it.

I would have emailed you first but you don't provide a email address.

Guest robots123

Hello,

chin up, no big deal here keep the posts rollin

anyhow seeya

old skool love. a lot of FOAF talking. Seems we have lost a great deal of subtlety as time has gone on huh.