The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ramon

Opinions on Pachycereus

Guest Ramon

Does anybody have any opinions or experiences about members of the Pachycereus family?

No, but Trout's Notes on Sacred Cacti says P. gaumeri has < 0.01% mescaline, about 0.01% each 3,4-DMPEA (PiHKAL sez no activity @ <= 1000 mg) and 4-HO-3,5-DMPEA, and up to 0.164% deglucopterocereine (the degluco is a side effect of the extraction). He notes that

"Deglucopterine is structurally very similar to gigantine (found in Carnegia gigantea), which is reputed to be hallucinogenic in animals and to some of the Pachycereus alkaloids, several species of which are suspected of being active; possibly hallucinogenic. The entire area needs work. See comments in Trout's Notes on Cactus Chemistry or in TN#C-9 under the entry for gigantine."

I'm not sure how to interpret that sentence that doesn't make sense.

I have "Cactus Chemistry by Species" but it seems this is different to "Cactus Chemistry" as gigantine only appears as a line in a table in it...

Anyway, cautious bioassaying could be of interest wink.gif.

I think those were %ages by fresh weights btw.

[This message has been edited by rkundalini (edited 22 June 2000).]

."I think those were %ages by fresh weights btw."

Could you confirm this at all?? That would make the mescaline content ~0.1%, which is quite considerable.

Guest theobromus

Don't get too excited, Torsten. Note the <, the "less than" symbol. They found some but not enough to weigh.

G'day mates, pommie baastards welcome, I hope? I am not even a southerner in my own country.

I have a note that it contains salsolidine (O-methylsalsoline), an antihypertensive which is also an MAOI, A only, in tissues at 6 µM and O-methylcorypalline an MAOI for both A and B at 28 µM. Also 4OH,3MeOPEA.

It should be taken into account that carnegine (gigantine is 5OHcarnegine) is a convulsive poison, LD50 in cute little meeces 15mg/kg. This may seem a lot but it doesn't suggest safety at much lower doses. The LD0 is not given and I don't know of neurotoxicity studies. MAOI-A at 2 µM.

Guest theobromus

Oops, I should have mentioned the "it" I referred to was Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum.

Correct about the < sign. However from memory there was another ref cited as actually yielding 0.01% mesc... maybe I am remembering incorrectly though. I'll check when I get home next week and if so provide the full ref.