The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SirLSD

san pedro behaviour questions.

2 of my pedros have a pup each. both about 4-5 cm long and 3-4cm diameter. one grew up out of the ground and one is about 1 cm above ground level. whats up with that? will the one in the ground grow roots and become independent? the other stay as a branch?

also the one which is comeing out of the ground, the mother its growing from looks like its getting skinnier, or dehydrating. again whats the deal?

also the lower section of one of my pedros is lookinng slightly yellowish. top is still a healthy green and growing well but the bottomo isnt as green as id like. is this normal or am i just being overly worried?

if u havent guessed im new to cacti growing. but im enjoying it smile.gif

Guest wira

Sounds fairly normal to me. The one that's dehydrating, maybe you should just give it a lot more water right now? Putting out pups take a lot of energy.

The pup at ground level may well develop its own roots over time as you suspected, but there's few guarantees in life wink.gif.

How old is the one that's going yellowish near the base? With older cacti it is fairly normal for older sections to get paler and eventually woody.

It usually takes a lot to kill a Trichocereus, I don't think you have too much to worry about at the moment. Just keep an eye on things and make sure they have adequate water now that it's summer.

Guest reville

Ive left pedro in th boiling feb sun in black pots theyve outgrown.minor damage

The only thing that will surely kill them is poor drainage. they laugh everything else off