The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
twee

Poisonous cacti?

I think the mighty Saguaro contains a potentially nasty alkaloid(?) called carnegine, not that anyone is ever likely to dine on one of them...

...and I also *think* I remember reading somewhere that Stetsonia coryne contains... erm...something bad confused.gif...someone else can hopefully say more about this, given that it's concievable S. coryne could be mistaken for Trichocereus peruvianus...

Edit: heh heh...and I should mention that, according to some nameless book I found in the gardening section of the local public library, ingestion of Lophophora williamsii leads to paralysis and constriction of the pupils...consider yourself warned biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by A480 (edited 09 February 2002).]

thereare many stories surrounding 'false' peyotes,The golden book of hallucinogenic plants[?] at forbiden fruit is a place 2 look 4 basic info.mostly its native warnings about insanity!

t s t .

Guest wira

Stetsonia coryne was found to contain 0.001-0.05% alkaloids [w/w], of which 1-10% was mescaline, >50% 3-MeO-tyramine [homovanillylamine], 10-50% tyramine, 1-10% N-methyl-tyramine, traces of DMPEA, anhalonidine, and anhalidine [6,7-dimethoxy-8-OH-2-methyl-THIQ]; an earlier study found 1% [d/w] coryneine [N,N,N-trimethyl-dopamine; oxo-candicine] in this species.

Is coryneine the thing you were thinking of? I don't think I have any info on its pharmacology, or if it's even known.