The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
terah

Loph help needed

I picked up a Loph from a dead old mans collection the other day that had been neglected for at least a year as the guy was too sick to care for his cacti. Its about 15cm consisting of 2 large buttons with about 20 pups around it. As Im not very experienced with Lophs Im wondering if anyone has advice on how to nurse it back to health.Some of the pups have white specks on them and the larger ones have flowered.

Guest Mesqualero

They are beyond repair, email me and I will kindly take them into care for a very nice fee biggrin.gif

The white specks may be mealybugs... if they're white and somewhat fuzzy and can be wiped off easily, that's probably what they are.

I suggest taking them out of their pots. Wash all the soil off the roots, and make sure there's no white critters on the roots. Throw away the original pots and soil. Clean off all those white spots with some rubbing alcohol. Re-pot them in new pots with fresh soil.

After a few days, water them... Lopho's are pretty standard cacti and aren't too hard to care for. In winter, a well established plant can get by on very little water... a little splash every 3 or 4 weeks is plenty. In summer when its hot, they can be watered thoroughly once or twice a week. Fertilizing with MiracleGro every month or so in summer can be a real beneficial thing.

Thanks Murple. And Ill keep you in mind Mesqualero when all else fails.