The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mesqualero

Grafted.... now I wait

Guest Mesqualero

I recently grafted a certain loveable button cactus onto a T.Pachanois about a week ago... it seems to be attached quite firmly and nicely... it hasnt shrunk or shrivelled or come unstuck... the root stock is calloused nicely where I bevelled the edges.

I have taken the stocking attachment off and now have it in a relatively humid environment..

Should I take it out of the humidity? Should i keep it out of the weather for a while??

When will I know if the graft has been successful?

Aaah it's so fun isnt it biggrin.gif

if you keep it humid, the graft will grow roots and push itself off the pachanoi.

when do you know if it has taken?? unpredictable to say the least. I bought on that had apparently taken 3 months ago (reliable person), I had it for 2 weeks and it started shrivelling up. Although it has sealed well around the perimeter, there were no vascular bundles connecting the two.

Guest Mesqualero

Hmm ok Well ive taken out of the humidity.. Now I will just wait... if it doesnt work Ill just have to do another one ...Oh my poor grafting stock heheh.

On a side note.. I was at Eumundi markets near Noosa and this cactus seller said that peyote was illegal in queensland and that only a "bona fide" cactus collecter would be safe in owning the species... anyone know anything about this? He claims someone in Brisbane even got in trouble for selling it...

MY mum's neighour up Rocky is a police officer, and he knows about my peyotes in my mum's garden, and he didn't really care, (as I have 19 peyotes, only few trichs, and I am not a "bona fide cacti collector" as long I didn't have "heaps and heaps" like in hundreds, the cop even commented that my peyotes collection were "weird interesting looking cacti".... biggrin.gif or maybe he is just plain lazy and just wanted to turn blind eye because a lot Rocky coppers are pretty lazy, it's a fact, because they often spend a lot time dealing with black fellas, and domestic issues so I assume they had more things to worry about than arresting me for having "few" peyotes. :o

Guest Mesqualero

I didn't really believe the guy in eumundi anyway... I don't think he knew what he was on about... Cactus yes... the law?? NO

STATUS report

Graft is still quite firm slightly soft but not wrinkled or dehydrated looking... some of the perimeter of button has detatched from

the rootstock but there appears to be a strong Vascular connection..

Fingers crossed

Guest Mesqualero

Happy to say that my first ever cactus graft attempt was successful !!