The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiraleyes

wet grafts

i performed a few grafts the other day.

all went well.

but i didnt get home in time, the rain came in,and they got slightly wet.

i had to take off the fixing tape because it was wet underneath.

i would really have liked to have left it on for a few more days,but they seem to have bonded ok.

they seem fine,but a bit of orange(rot) has appeared on the surface of the tric. and around the pup.

should i just keep it dry and not worry or should i spray something on it?

thanks for any suggestions

Spiral mang, you left them in the rain, that is a no no. If I preform grafts , I put them indoors in the shade. No direct sunlight at all. In your case it seems that there is a chance that they will be succesfull. Then again on the otherhand.... as soon as you see rotting , in particular on the trich near the button.... cut it away and put a hair drier or other heat source close by (light) jus enough to slightly warm the cut out area. as soon as you see the slight'est rot cut it out.

The sooner the better. i have saved a couple of grafts that way after putting them outside and watering them too soon.

if the button does'nt take bury it half way in some COARSE SHARP SAND <(this stuff is sacred too!!!!) And put it behind a window...dont water it for at least a mont and a half. Moisture will trigger rooting sooner, but beware of rot , especially with failed grafts, since they tend to form a hollow space underneath that can collect moisture and promote rot to set in.

Irie