The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Osprey

when to take cuttings

This is my first post,although I have been lurking for the last couple of years and thoughtr it is about time to stop eavesdropping and join in the discussion.I live in washington state(USA)and am growing a dozen or so varieties of tricos.Lately I've gotten interested in growing the slower growing varieties such as Ariocarpus etc. from seed.I have alot of Pereskiopsis & 3" trico seedlings & I'm planning to make alot of grafting attempts this spring.My attempts have failed in the last couple of years,but I think I know where I went wrong.Anyway just thought I'd say hello

Cheers Osprey

I just realized during my rambling that I forgot about the subject of my post.For various reasons I just took a bunch of cuttings right in the middle of the plants winter dormancy(T.Pach&Peruvianus)they are in a cold dark room & have callused over fine with no mold on the mother plants or cuttings.I plan to just leave them leaning upright untill spring.Has anyone else had any luck with cuttings taken in mid-winter?

Also when is the optimum time of year to take cuttings?I was thinking fall would be good,because they could grow all season and would have enough time to maybe sprout roots before winter.By spring they would be rooted enough to take off right away.Any thoughts on this?

'lo osprey, i've had cuttings sitting around in a shed all winter then planted them out when the weather warmed up a bit. i'm not sure what the optimum time is for cuttings, i just take 'em when i'm happy with their size.

leaving them in a dark place for such a long time may cause rotting. They only want a little bit of darkness just before planting, so you can put them in a brighter place for a little while and then back in the dark just before it warms up.