The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kwan

Not so good looking graft...

Guest kwan

A few days ago I tried to graft a lopho onto a trich and now I can see that a black, irregular band has formed where the two cuts meet. Its seems to be dry though, no blobby ooze, more like a discolouration. It seems to be getting bigger by the day so ive taken it out of the humidicrib and removed the ties to give it a bit of air. To make things worse, the bottom of the trich is turning brown and wilting though this could be from recently repotting (?). Does that black stuff sound like a terminal illness?

Some discolouration at the join is normal but its not so good if it is black and mushy below the surface. I would say that the brown wilting is a worse sign, i dont think it is too good to give it alot of humidity after recent repoting as this would encourage root rot, you should give it a bit of time to recover from repoting and to start growing before grafting. If the brown gets bigger i would say that you would have to cut it of above the brown and cut off the graft then root the trich as a cutting or it might turn into mush. It might not be as bad as I say it could be so i would wait for someone else with some experience to reply before cutting up anything.

Having done like, a whole three grafts, its not lots of experience but they all did work rather well & quickly...

Are the mushy bits too far down to allow regrafting? Maybe cut off the yucky bits and let them callus in the dry for a week or two.

Then cut afresh. I use a sterile scalpel blade for each cut, and place them together immediately. Seal the surfaces by taping the graft downwards onto the scion with 3M micropore tape in an X pattern and leave in low humidity for a bit

You can get 3M micropore tape from chemists, its great stuff for grafts as it breathes but does not allow contaminants admission as the pore size it tiny. Usually ppl use it to attach those big bandaid patches over wounds. Sterile scalpel blades are also avail via chemists- usually individually.

PS kwan have you written any more poetry? smile.gif

DL

micro-pore, nice one DL!

ive been using electrical tape-sounds bad but its ok.

bands just never worked for me,slipping one way or the other.

makes me panic and temper flare smile.gif

im going to buy some m/pore tommorrow.

a great excuse to do some more grafts. smile.gif

without seeing it k,its a bit hard to say.

any mush and i would cut off and save what i could.

ive made the mistake of leaving it before and lost them.

but ive also left what i 'thought' to be terminal and theyve been fine.

all in the learning curve.

but like i said,mush-no good!

Guest kwan

[This message has been edited by kwan (edited 19 December 2002).]

Guest kwan

I wouldnt exactly say that its gone mushy but instead has darkened over the calloused edges of the trich. It feels dry to touch but the colour doesnt look too healthy to me and the loph is beginning to peel of at one side although IT feels and looks healthy. I might just leave it and see what happens, let it pop off if it feels like it. Ive got a few reserves wink.gif The brown patches on the base of the trich have stopped spreading. I think they were just a reaction to rough treatment before the graft. I realise it was a bad time to repot but the graft was a snap decision, one of those things you just get the urge to do NOW without preparing properly...and murphys law prevailed wink.gif

Darklight, no I havent for ages. Botched grafts is more my thing these days smile.gif