The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Anodyne

Monogamy - what is it good for?

quote:

Herpes virus and crabs arent stopped by the sheath

True, but both of those can also be spread by non-sexual physical contact - crabs can be passed on via towels, sheets, etc., and you can catch herpes even by "kissing your grandma hello" sort of contact - any time that any body fluids come into contact with a mucous membrane.

And sorry dotboy, I didn't really understand what you meant by this:

quote:

No, i don't believe you can love someone. I believe this is lust...

...John can't love sally, sally can't love john, but rather, they are in love, together.

:confused:

So unrequited love isn't really love?

d0tb0y/n00dle:

No, i don't believe you can love someone.

I realize I'm taking your words a bit out of context, but I'm assuming you don't have children yet. It is indeed possible to have love for a child or spouse that places their needs above one's own. Not that I've achieved that ideal. I can be as selfish as the next guy at times, but real love properly expressed is selfless, not selfish.

I'd wager that on average, those who practice monogamy have more self control, are better at long term planning/delayed gratification, and are in general happier and more successful than those who are more promiscuous. And if you're guessing that I place myself in the former group, you'd be right. Hey, I never claimed to be humble, just straightforward.