The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

Isothiocyanate sources? Is Rocket a medicinally good choice to grow?

While I've done lots of polyphenols, nutritional basics even essential oils etc the next thing I want to spruce my diet with is isothiocyanates (ITCs) such as sulforaphane and erucin, I don't use them much, supplementation seemed expensive.

Sulforaphane is the one that primarily sparked my interest due to the body of research, much preclinical but promising, on it with regard to brain health, from autism to schizophrenia to neurodegenerative conditions like AD/PD but there's some evidence ITCs in Rocket might work well.

Broccoli itself is seemingly good for health maintenance but you often need something more medicinally active, sometimes the sprouts are a better sulforaphane source from what I hear. Anyone germinate these and use them medicinally?

I want to do it cheap with what's in the garden available or growable...

A neuroprotective strategy proposes natural antioxidant molecules as an alternative form of treatment, or for the prevention of neurological pathologies. The beneficial effects of Brassica vegetables on human health have been linked to phytochemicals that prevent oxidative stress, induce enzymes of detoxification, stimulate the immune system, decrease the risk of cancer and reduce the proliferation of cancer cells, as well

ITCs such as erucin (4-(methylthio)-butyl-ITC) and sulforaphane (4-(methylsulfinyl)-butyl-ITC) are both present in rocket species and appear to have anticarcinogenic activity. Erucin showed an interesting profile of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective effects similar to those observed with sulforaphane.

In a solid dose of Community Garden Rocket goes into tonight's spruced healing salad...

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 2